Old 14-11-2010, 07:28 PM posted to rec.gardens
cshenk cshenk is offline

Default Freeze green onions?

"Higgs Boson" wrote
"cshenk" wrote:

I need to pull a lot of green onions before they go to seed.
Thought of cleaning, dicing, and freezing.

Dehydrator is the way to go for the greens. Leave the bulbs in the ground
to come up again next year.

? That's a new one on me. I don't have a dehydrator & don't want to
invest in one.

They are pretty cheap home units. About 35$ for one (some cheaper, some a
little more) that will do fine for home produce saving. You'd need more
things than just this one green onion batch to make it 'price worthy' but
for us, it's used a good bit.

Used for: making jerky (Don needs lower salt so making our own is the only
way to get that), making doggie treats of 'jerky' (*significant cost
savings* here for a corn/wheat/soy allergin set of pets), green bell
peppers, onions (dried onions are unique in some cooking aspects and with
those few things, fresh is not as good), tomatoes, rosemary, lavender,
parsley, mint, mushrooms, fruits, and making 'fruit rollups' for the kid
(another *significant savings* here). Probably other stuff I am not
thinking of just now.

Unless you have other needs for the unit, I agree it will not save you any
money to get one. Folks like me, get a good bit out of such units. The pet
food savings alone for making 'treats' would pay for such a unit in 2 months
in my house.

I didn't know about leaving the bulbs in the ground. Figures.

LOL! Planted some about 10 years ago. I'm still cropping my own from them.
Chives too. If you pulled them out, next spring buy some at the grocery and
plant the bulbs with a bit of green still attached. Both chives and green
onions do well in containers BTW. My supermarkets dont sell chives with
bulb on so I had to buy those about 12 years ago. Haven't bought chives
since but I note they spread slowly. Green onions though seem like
Dsffodils. Plant one and you end up with 12 in time.