Old 14-11-2010, 08:56 PM posted to rec.gardens
Brooklyn1 Brooklyn1 is offline

Default Freeze green onions?

On Sun, 14 Nov 2010 14:35:10 -0500, "cshenk" wrote:

"Dan L" wrote
Higgs Boson wrote:
"cshenk" wrote:

I need to pull a lot of green onions before they go to seed.
Thought of cleaning, dicing, and freezing.

Dehydrator is the way to go for the greens.

? That's a new one on me. I don't have a dehydrator & don't want to
invest in one.

Will dehydrating onions indoors stink up the house?
Should it be done outside in a shelter?
I have never done dehydration before for food preservation. Just
curious.

It depends. If the smell of onions drying upsets you, then it will smell up
the house for a bit. It won't last though so once done it goes away as far
as smell.

I rarely do a load of all one thing except jerky or mint. I dry the mint
for tea and don't want my mint tea to be infused with other things. I
generally do 'similar things' like 'all fruit' or 'all herbs'.

The green portion of green onions won't dehydrate very well... they're
best freeze dried. In fact most produce doesn't dehydrate well with
home dehydators... unless one has access to a commercial dehydrator
it's not worth the effort. If I had a glut of green onions
dehydrating them would never enter my head... I'd use them in soups,
stews, and sauces and then freeze those... I can use a lot of green
onions in a big pot of chili, or pasta sauce... I can make a big jar
of caramelized green onion relish for use on various meats, would be
great on burgers and steaks, even tube steak... an awful lotta green
onions would need to be cooked down to fill a quart jar. If you have
the other makings a lot of green onions can be used in a salsa.