Old 15-11-2010, 01:30 PM
kay kay is offline
Registered User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baz[_3_] View Post

I had some alpine strawberries which I grew from seed, Mignonette if I
remember. But they were very disappointing indeed.
Last winter in the south facing border they remained green, and early
enough in spring they put up some nice white flowers and then the fruit.

The fruits were thousands but only the size of a "little finger" nail.
That's a bit small, they'd usually make it to a "ring finger" nail ;-)

Mine are noticeably larger if the weather has been wet - are you in a dry area?

I have them edging all my veg beds and some of my flower beds - if I want to plant anything, I just pull up an armful of strawberry plants to make space. Picking is a right pain. Worse than bilberries. But I have several pounds in the deepfreeze - they don't keep their texture, but they do keep their taste and are good for any use where texture isn't important.