Old 06-11-2010, 03:43 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Strawberry Plant Question Please?

I am offered some by my daughter and her partner who want to get rid of
some.

Is this a daft time of year to be planting them?
No frost yet, but will they need protecting with fleece?
--
Gordon H
Remove "invalid" to reply
Old 06-11-2010, 03:49 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Nov 6, 3:43*pm, Gordon H
wrote:
I am offered some by my daughter and her partner who want to get rid of
some.

Is this a daft time of year to be planting them?
No frost yet, but will they need protecting with fleece?
--
Gordon H
Remove "invalid" to reply

It's exactly the right time to be planting strawberries.
Old 06-11-2010, 04:39 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Sat, 6 Nov 2010 15:43:03 +0000, Gordon H
wrote:

I am offered some by my daughter and her partner who want to get rid of
some.

Is this a daft time of year to be planting them?
No frost yet, but will they need protecting with fleece?

If you're ground planting, now's a good time. But if you're using tubs
of any sort, it's best to wait until the spring (after the heavy
frosts - once they're established in tub type planters strawberries
are fine thru the winter.) Incidentally, I picked one today.
Delicious! But I think that's the last one this year.
Old 06-11-2010, 11:16 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In message
,
harry writes
On Nov 6, 3:43*pm, Gordon H
wrote:
I am offered some by my daughter and her partner who want to get rid of
some.

Is this a daft time of year to be planting them?
No frost yet, but will they need protecting with fleece?
--
Gordon H

It's exactly the right time to be planting strawberries.

Thanks.
--
Gordon H
Remove "invalid" to reply
Old 06-11-2010, 11:21 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In message , Jake
writes
wrote:

I am offered some by my daughter and her partner who want to get rid of
some.

Is this a daft time of year to be planting them?
No frost yet, but will they need protecting with fleece?

If you're ground planting, now's a good time. But if you're using tubs
of any sort, it's best to wait until the spring (after the heavy
frosts - once they're established in tub type planters strawberries
are fine thru the winter.) Incidentally, I picked one today.
Delicious! But I think that's the last one this year.

Thanks, I'm near Manchester, BTW, so the cropping is well over.
I tasted some of my daughter's earlier in the year and they were small
but delicious, and it put me off bought strawberries.
Slugs and birds may be a problem, but I may try some black plastic
matting which I have stored, and top it with grit.
--
Gordon H
Remove "invalid" to reply

Old 07-11-2010, 09:30 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
No Name

Jake wrote:
If you're ground planting, now's a good time. But if you're using tubs
of any sort, it's best to wait until the spring (after the heavy
frosts - once they're established in tub type planters strawberries
are fine thru the winter.) Incidentally, I picked one today.
Delicious! But I think that's the last one this year.

I have alpine strawberries that have just decided to flower again
Old 07-11-2010, 12:18 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

wrote in news:8jn9tnF11jU4
@mid.individual.net:

Jake wrote:
If you're ground planting, now's a good time. But if you're using tubs
of any sort, it's best to wait until the spring (after the heavy
frosts - once they're established in tub type planters strawberries
are fine thru the winter.) Incidentally, I picked one today.
Delicious! But I think that's the last one this year.

I have alpine strawberries that have just decided to flower again

I had some alpine strawberries which I grew from seed, Mignonette if I
remember. But they were very disappointing indeed.
Last winter in the south facing border they remained green, and early
enough in spring they put up some nice white flowers and then the fruit.

The fruits were thousands but only the size of a "little finger" nail.

Wish I had kept them to see what might have been, but we dont have the
space for what might be.

Baz
Old 07-11-2010, 01:07 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
No Name

Baz wrote:
The fruits were thousands but only the size of a "little finger" nail.

That's all they're meant to be!

I'm not keen on the flavour, but the boys like them.

Wish I had kept them to see what might have been, but we dont have the
space for what might be.

Mine are just in a large pot.
The boys like foraging in them.

Old 07-11-2010, 05:13 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Baz wrote:

The fruits were thousands but only the size of a "little finger" nail.

Wish I had kept them to see what might have been, but we dont have the
space for what might be.

I think mine started out as a packet of Alexandra, or similar name.
Their fruits were about the size of a robin's egg. However, some seem to
have crossed with Royal Sovereign, and seeded. This has greatly improved
their size and flavour, while retaining the clumpiness of alpines.

--
Rusty

Old 09-11-2010, 03:25 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

wrote in message
Baz wrote:
The fruits were thousands but only the size of a "little finger" nail.

That's all they're meant to be!

I'm not keen on the flavour, but the boys like them.

Wish I had kept them to see what might have been, but we dont have the
space for what might be.

Mine are just in a large pot.
The boys like foraging in them.

So do vine weevil larvae, as I've just discovered. :-(

Steve

Old 09-11-2010, 04:24 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
No Name

shazzbat wrote:
Mine are just in a large pot.
The boys like foraging in them.

So do vine weevil larvae, as I've just discovered. :-(

Oh, yes, been there, done that!
Old 15-11-2010, 11:02 AM
Registered User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gordon H[_3_] View Post
I am offered some by my daughter and her partner who want to get rid of
some.

Is this a daft time of year to be planting them?
No frost yet, but will they need protecting with fleece?
--
Gordon H
Remove "invalid" to reply
If I were you I'd plant them now, no time like the present and I'm sure they will be fine. My friend has some and she said she planted hers in mid October and the weather hasn't changed all that much since then.
__________________
Bat Boxes - Help Your Local Bat Friends
Chimineas | Parasols | Garden Benches | Garden Furniture Covers
Old 15-11-2010, 01:30 PM
kay kay is offline
Registered User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baz[_3_] View Post

I had some alpine strawberries which I grew from seed, Mignonette if I
remember. But they were very disappointing indeed.
Last winter in the south facing border they remained green, and early
enough in spring they put up some nice white flowers and then the fruit.

The fruits were thousands but only the size of a "little finger" nail.
That's a bit small, they'd usually make it to a "ring finger" nail ;-)

Mine are noticeably larger if the weather has been wet - are you in a dry area?

I have them edging all my veg beds and some of my flower beds - if I want to plant anything, I just pull up an armful of strawberry plants to make space. Picking is a right pain. Worse than bilberries. But I have several pounds in the deepfreeze - they don't keep their texture, but they do keep their taste and are good for any use where texture isn't important.