Old 15-11-2010, 12:27 PM posted to rec.gardens
Pat Kiewicz[_2_] Pat Kiewicz[_2_] is offline

Default Winter dreaming - small tree

Cheryl Isaak said:

OK - I'm southern NH, but have to treat this area of the yard as warmish
Zone 4 - the wind really creates a very cold microclimate on that side of
the yard, especially around the proposed site - aka the top of the hill.

Needs to be drought tolerant once established, able to take wind and lots
sun. And give me some winter interest and some shade for the bench.

Spread -
about 8-10 feet, height maxing at 20 foot. Don't mind pruning but would
object to anything that suckers.

I would have recommended a serviceberry, but you might need to clip
some suckers down near the roots once a year. Otherwise, very little
pruning needed.

A cloud of white in the spring, berries to attract a fairly high class
assortment of birds in June, good autmn color. Some winter interest,
especially if, like my specimen, you get a nice mottling of lichens on
the bark.

--
Pat in Plymouth MI

nutrients..." --Largo Potter, Valkyria Chronicles

email valid but not regularly monitored