Old 15-11-2010, 01:19 PM posted to alt.home.lawn.garden
Stubby[_3_] Stubby[_3_] is offline

Default Ground Dwelling Bees.... !!!

On Nov 13, 11:25*pm, Red wrote:
On Nov 10, 4:12*am, Mathink smackmah-MUNGMUNGMUNG-

wrote:
Hi infinite,

Next take an empty
coke bottle, fill it with gasoline, take a flashlight and something to
go over the hole like a piece wood board about 6 in to cover the hole,
then quickly put the neck of the bottle in the hole till empty, then
move it and cover the hole with the wood. Next AM move the board they
are all dead."

Although somebody else quickly pointed out this BADLY contaminates the
soil all around the nest...

Not true. Diesel fuel or kerosene may contaminate the soil but
gasoline evaporates very fast and leaves little-to-no residue in the
soil. *EPA cleanup of most gasoline spills only requires spreading the
soil so sun & air can aid evaporation. A coke bottle full would
evaporate very fast with no contamination.

Red

Well, if you don't blow yourself up, you are likely to start a ground
fire. This can travel in the thatch under grass and can spread
quickly. I had one such incident about 20 years ago when a "Gopher
Gasser" blew a spark out of the hole and started a fire. I had a
rake and thought I could easily put it out. But it kept spreading and
at that point the hose I had prepared could no longer reach. I call
the Fire Department.