Old 09-11-2010, 05:54 PM posted to alt.home.lawn.garden

Default Ground Dwelling Bees.... !!!

Last year while mowing near a large bush I stirred up a nest of ground
dwelling bees that swarmed all over me before I, let's say, evicted
them. Several months ago I was trimming near the back of my house and
an old 2X4 was laying on the ground, when I bumped it with the trimmer
a cloud of them came out from under the 2X4 as they had a deep nest in
the ground below the board. Once again, evicted. On both occasions
they nailed me several times before I got the message.

With fall arriving here in Florida my southern pines have started
dropping needles. We had some activities in the back yard on the last
two weekends and both times I noticed dozens of the same looking bees
scouring around above the needles around the back yard. Could not see
them gathering at any location so couldn't identify an actual "nest",
but they appeared to be shopping around.

How can I dissuade them from starting a new nest in my yard or do they
possibly already have a new nest nearby that I need to find? Not sure
what is attracting them to my yard but with my one year old
granddaughter occasionally visiting, the bees need to go. I have
over an acre of land so treating or something would involve a lot of
ground.

Old 09-11-2010, 06:06 PM posted to alt.home.lawn.garden

Quick look online and seems these are yellow jackets and not "bees",
my apologies to any bees I may of offended :O)
Old 10-11-2010, 10:12 AM
Registered User

Hi infinite,

After a quick look found someone who suggested: "My way of getting rid of the yellow jackets cheap and easy is to find the hole in the ground and place something on the ground just inches from it. Wait until an hour after dark for them to all get in for the night. Next take an empty coke bottle, fill it with gasoline, take a flashlight and something to go over the hole like a piece wood board about 6 in to cover the hole, then quickly put the neck of the bottle in the hole till empty, then move it and cover the hole with the wood. Next AM move the board they are all dead."

Although somebody else quickly pointed out this BADLY contaminates the soil all around the nest...

Other people suggested getting a professional company in to get rid of the bees, although this may turn out pretty expensive...

A cheaper way: "Do this at night right before it gets real dark!

"Go to your local hardware store pick up a three pack of indoor insect fogger, duct tape the fogger can to a stick or pole (because the hornets will crawl out and sting your hand if you hold it, have had a couple of stings this way) click the continuous on the fogger can stick it in the hole. The fog will go through every hole in your yard, wall etc. you can see the fog of spray clouding out.

"I guarantee every yellow jacket in the hole will be dead, be it in a wall or hole. If you think you need more go for it as you get 3 cans in a pack.

"Safe cheap easy way to rid the bugs without doing dangerous thins with gasoline etc."

Hope this helps!
__________________
Artificial Grass - This is now compulsory for me...
Old 10-11-2010, 03:51 PM posted to alt.home.lawn.garden

--
Mathink

Much better to pour in a bottle of Sevin solution or Malathion,
whatever on hand. I find I can even do this during the day with
yellow jackets if I first blast opening with a knock down spray.
Old 14-11-2010, 04:25 AM posted to alt.home.lawn.garden

On Nov 10, 4:12*am, Mathink smackmah-MUNGMUNGMUNG-
wrote:
Hi infinite,

Next take an empty
coke bottle, fill it with gasoline, take a flashlight and something to
go over the hole like a piece wood board about 6 in to cover the hole,
then quickly put the neck of the bottle in the hole till empty, then
move it and cover the hole with the wood. Next AM move the board they
are all dead."

Although somebody else quickly pointed out this BADLY contaminates the
soil all around the nest...

Not true. Diesel fuel or kerosene may contaminate the soil but
gasoline evaporates very fast and leaves little-to-no residue in the
soil. EPA cleanup of most gasoline spills only requires spreading the
soil so sun & air can aid evaporation. A coke bottle full would
evaporate very fast with no contamination.

Red

Old 15-11-2010, 01:19 PM posted to alt.home.lawn.garden

wrote:
Hi infinite,

Next take an empty
coke bottle, fill it with gasoline, take a flashlight and something to
go over the hole like a piece wood board about 6 in to cover the hole,
then quickly put the neck of the bottle in the hole till empty, then
move it and cover the hole with the wood. Next AM move the board they
are all dead."

Although somebody else quickly pointed out this BADLY contaminates the
soil all around the nest...

Not true. Diesel fuel or kerosene may contaminate the soil but
gasoline evaporates very fast and leaves little-to-no residue in the
soil. *EPA cleanup of most gasoline spills only requires spreading the
soil so sun & air can aid evaporation. A coke bottle full would
evaporate very fast with no contamination.

Red

Well, if you don't blow yourself up, you are likely to start a ground
fire. This can travel in the thatch under grass and can spread
quickly. I had one such incident about 20 years ago when a "Gopher
Gasser" blew a spark out of the hole and started a fire. I had a
rake and thought I could easily put it out. But it kept spreading and
at that point the hose I had prepared could no longer reach. I call
the Fire Department.
Old 15-11-2010, 08:08 PM posted to alt.home.lawn.garden

wrote:
[...]

Uh, no one said anything about igniting the gas to burn them out.
Gas fumes by themselves are highly toxic to the critters.

I assume most intelligent people know to keep flames away from
gasoline.
Those that don't can learn the hard way.

Red
Old 17-11-2010, 09:02 PM posted to alt.home.lawn.garden

infiniteMPG wrote:
[...]

Can't help you find the nest, but the next time you do find one, go out just
after dark and stick a garden hose in the hole. Make sure it's snug.

food or something.

When you have completely forgotten about the water being left on, and
remember that it has been on for a while, go turn it off.

Jon

Bees invaded my little outdoor frog habitat (how to get rid of bees) Judy Zappacosta Lawns 12 05-11-2010 12:23 PM
small bees in ground janet Gardening 32 19-07-2007 03:53 AM
ground bees alazar Gardening 9 09-07-2005 03:48 AM
Place to ID some ground-dwelling bees? Bert Hyman Gardening 4 06-05-2004 06:03 PM