Old 17-11-2010, 09:02 PM posted to alt.home.lawn.garden
Jon Danniken[_2_] Jon Danniken[_2_] is offline

Default Ground Dwelling Bees.... !!!

infiniteMPG wrote:
Last year while mowing near a large bush I stirred up a nest of ground
dwelling bees that swarmed all over me before I, let's say, evicted
them. Several months ago I was trimming near the back of my house and
an old 2X4 was laying on the ground, when I bumped it with the trimmer
a cloud of them came out from under the 2X4 as they had a deep nest in
the ground below the board. Once again, evicted. On both occasions
they nailed me several times before I got the message.

With fall arriving here in Florida my southern pines have started
dropping needles. We had some activities in the back yard on the last
two weekends and both times I noticed dozens of the same looking bees
scouring around above the needles around the back yard. Could not see
them gathering at any location so couldn't identify an actual "nest",
but they appeared to be shopping around.

How can I dissuade them from starting a new nest in my yard or do they
possibly already have a new nest nearby that I need to find? Not sure
what is attracting them to my yard but with my one year old
granddaughter occasionally visiting, the bees need to go. I have
over an acre of land so treating or something would involve a lot of
ground.

Can't help you find the nest, but the next time you do find one, go out just
after dark and stick a garden hose in the hole. Make sure it's snug.

food or something.

When you have completely forgotten about the water being left on, and
remember that it has been on for a while, go turn it off.

Jon