Old 19-11-2010, 08:31 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Michael Bell Michael Bell is offline

Default Fungus growing round seeds - what to do?

I am growing alder seeds (specially selected from wild populations,
and quite a bit bigger) in wetted compost under lights. I pressed the
seeds in in their sides, they are too small for my big fingers to push
end -down. I have covered them with cling film and droplets of water
have condensed on the underside of the clingfilm. Temperature is about
25°C

After 2 days some of the seeds have white fungus around them. I
understand that this can be a normal part of the germination process.
But just to be on the safe side I have taken the clingfilm off for a
few hours to kill the fungus off by drying it out, the seeds haven't
sprouted yet - it has only been 2 days.

Am I doing right? Any helpful hints?

Michael Bell