Old 19-11-2010, 08:31 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Fungus growing round seeds - what to do?

I am growing alder seeds (specially selected from wild populations,
and quite a bit bigger) in wetted compost under lights. I pressed the
seeds in in their sides, they are too small for my big fingers to push
end -down. I have covered them with cling film and droplets of water
have condensed on the underside of the clingfilm. Temperature is about
25°C

After 2 days some of the seeds have white fungus around them. I
understand that this can be a normal part of the germination process.
But just to be on the safe side I have taken the clingfilm off for a
few hours to kill the fungus off by drying it out, the seeds haven't
sprouted yet - it has only been 2 days.

Am I doing right? Any helpful hints?

Michael Bell

Old 19-11-2010, 09:47 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In message , Michael
Bell writes
I am growing alder seeds (specially selected from wild populations,
and quite a bit bigger) in wetted compost under lights. I pressed the
seeds in in their sides, they are too small for my big fingers to push
end -down. I have covered them with cling film and droplets of water
have condensed on the underside of the clingfilm. Temperature is about
25°C

After 2 days some of the seeds have white fungus around them. I
understand that this can be a normal part of the germination process.
But just to be on the safe side I have taken the clingfilm off for a
few hours to kill the fungus off by drying it out, the seeds haven't
sprouted yet - it has only been 2 days.

Am I doing right? Any helpful hints?

Michael Bell

You should have researched this prior to attempting propagation by seed.

For example

http://www.jstor.org/pss/3565103

Try combinations of the keywords propagation germination stratification
alder Alnus.
--
Stewart Robert Hinsley
Old 20-11-2010, 11:00 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Nov 19, 8:31*pm, Michael Bell wrote:
I am growing alder seeds (specially selected from wild populations,
and quite a bit bigger) in wetted compost under lights. I pressed the
seeds in in their sides, they are too small for my big fingers to push
end -down. I have covered them with cling film and droplets of water
have condensed on the underside of the clingfilm. Temperature is about
25 C

After 2 days some of the seeds have white fungus around them. I
understand that this can be a normal part of the germination process.
But just to be on the safe side I have taken the clingfilm off for a
few hours to kill the fungus off by drying it out, the seeds haven't
sprouted yet - it has only been 2 days.

Am I doing right? Any helpful hints?

Michael Bell

--

Germination time for seeds is very variable. Some seeds can take
years. Some only hours. Some have to pass through the gut of birds or
Old 20-11-2010, 11:19 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In message
Stewart Robert Hinsley wrote:

In message , Michael
Bell writes
[...]

I had been following

http://forestry.oxfordjournals.org/c.../82/5/573.full

which got results storing the seeds at 4°C, and I kept mine in the
lower compartment of my fridge, which I think is near enough. It makes
no mention of what it grew the seeds ON.

The one you quote chilled the seeds to - 20°C, (but these are FINNISH
seeds) and says that once germinated, seeds survive better on mineral
soil than on compost. Yes, I had too lazily assumed that "compost is
best for everything".

I wonder if the most productive way forward would be to germinate the
seeds on wetted towelling and transplant them onto soil by hand?

I have spent a lot of time getting these seeds and I am willing to do
that extra work.

Michael Bell

Old 20-11-2010, 03:24 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Nov 20, 12:08*pm, Michael Bell wrote:
[...]

Lots of seeds from temperate plants need to be subjected to low
temperatures for a while
before they will germinate. But then they will need to come to a
higher temperature
for actual germination. You need to get all this information before
you start.
It simulates Winter and Spring.
Also

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Scarification_(botany)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Seed_dormancy

Old 20-11-2010, 07:54 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Michael Bell wrote:
I am growing alder seeds (specially selected from wild populations,
and quite a bit bigger) in wetted compost under lights. I pressed the
seeds in in their sides, they are too small for my big fingers to push
end -down. I have covered them with cling film and droplets of water
have condensed on the underside of the clingfilm. Temperature is about
25°C

After 2 days some of the seeds have white fungus around them. I
understand that this can be a normal part of the germination process.
But just to be on the safe side I have taken the clingfilm off for a
few hours to kill the fungus off by drying it out, the seeds haven't
sprouted yet - it has only been 2 days.

Am I doing right? Any helpful hints?

In the past I've had little bits of mycelium form and attach themselves
to tomato seeds, but they germinated and sprouted fine. So my guess is
there's nothing to worry about. Damping off fungus is a bigger problem,
but I don't think that has anything to do with the fungus you can see.

Old 21-11-2010, 06:44 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Michael Bell" wrote in message
. uk...

I am growing alder seeds (specially selected from wild populations,
and quite a bit bigger) in wetted compost under lights. I pressed the
seeds in in their sides, they are too small for my big fingers to push
end -down. I have covered them with cling film and droplets of water
have condensed on the underside of the clingfilm. Temperature is about
25°C

After 2 days some of the seeds have white fungus around them. I
understand that this can be a normal part of the germination process.
But just to be on the safe side I have taken the clingfilm off for a
few hours to kill the fungus off by drying it out, the seeds haven't
sprouted yet - it has only been 2 days.

Am I doing right? Any helpful hints?

Michael Bell

--
Personally, I think you're mollycoddling them - they're hardy trees and
would probably do better treated as such. Most tree seeds and anything else

Rod

Old 23-11-2010, 07:33 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In message
ps.com
harry wrote:

[...]

I had stored the seeds in the chiller part of the fridge for at least
a fortnight, so I am not sure that pre-chilling is a problem. The
reason I am starting them off under light now is that I want them to
grow to a stem diameter of 3 mm by may so that I can graft them onto
fruting spurs then. The next year's cones and catkins form in June.

Michael Bell

Growing mint in water crystals - some wierd fungus? tjrundy Gardening 2 18-11-2009 05:14 AM
Fungus growing on our lawn tp123 Lawns 6 16-09-2008 01:35 PM
Seeds, Seeds, Seeds Kimberly Edible Gardening 8 03-01-2007 05:37 PM
Last year, fungus fungus everywhere Natalka Rosalia Maria Roshak Edible Gardening 5 26-01-2005 06:26 PM