Old 20-04-2003, 06:15 AM
Marvin Hlavac

Default Help!!! Hundreds of snails!!!

"LeighMo" wrote in message
Correct me if I am wrong, but it is my observation that exploding population
of snails usually indicates algae problem.

Either that, or overfeeding.

Snails, contrary to popular belief, don't live on thin air. If you have a
snail population explosion, they are eating something. Either algae or
leftover fishfood.

Marvin, if you get rid of your snails (with loaches or whatever), you will
likely find yourself with a huge algae problem instead. Get your tank in
balance, and the snail population will drop.

I welcome snails in my tank. They are terrific algae-eaters, and a natural
part of the ecosystem.

Leigh

Thanks to all for snail-eating fish recommendations. I will observe what my new
amano shrimps do for the next few days and if the situation does not improve I
will head to my local fish store. If a fish gets too big or unruly I can always
return her to the LFS or give it to someone after my snail problem is gone.

As for algae, at the present time there is no problem other than front glass
needs cleaning occasionally. Last algae problem I had in September when the
aquarium was about 6 weeks old. On Leigh's recommendation however I will feed
less over the next little while. Presently I feed once daily and as far as I can
see food doesn't get much chance to get to the bottom but I will still reduce
it.

--
Marvin
hlavac (at) rogers (dot) com