Old 20-04-2003, 06:15 AM
Marvin Hlavac

Default Help!!! Hundreds of snails!!!

After a couple of weeks of ignoring the problem now I have hundreds of small
snails in my 90g and I just noticed there are eggs all over my lawn of micro
sword. In desperation today I purchased 25 Amano Shrimps.

Three questions:

1. Will the shrimps help me?

2. Is there some chemical solution that would not harm my fish (mostly
Cardinals) and not harm my plants (mostly sword plants)

3. I'd rather avoid getting some large fish to my tank to kill these intruders.
I'm afraid a large fish could damage the aquascape. But perhaps I'm wrong and
getting a proper fish to do this dirty job is my only chance. What fish would be
appropriate, if any?

--
Marvin
hlavac (at) rogers (dot) com

Old 20-04-2003, 06:15 AM
kush

I think kuhli loaches or horse head loaches might wipe out your snails
without disrupting your garden. I have a pair of horsehead loaches which
eat snail eggs and very small snails, but which never ever disturb the
plants. They are quite small and inconspicuous - entire weeks go by that I
don't even see them.

gers.com...

Old 20-04-2003, 06:15 AM
hortonwho

Ihave 3 clown loaches that have taken care of my snails. when the snails are
gone I sink a small piece of cucumber every couple of days so they stay
away from my plants

Old 20-04-2003, 06:15 AM
Ray Frush

Marvin Hlavac wrote:
After a couple of weeks of ignoring the problem now I have hundreds of small
snails in my 90g and I just noticed there are eggs all over my lawn of micro
sword. In desperation today I purchased 25 Amano Shrimps.

I keep a (now 13 year old) Raphael Catfish that is an aggresive snail
eater. He obliterated the hundreds of snails in my 120G tank in about 2
weeks after I moved him from an older (13 years!) tank that was failing
structurally.

Raphael Cats grow to about a 4" maximum according to the books, and mine
isn't even that long.

Ray
(remove the thorn from my address for better results)

Old 20-04-2003, 06:15 AM
Jenya

Correct me if I am wrong, but it is my observation that exploding population
of snails usually indicates algae problem.
I recently had an explosion of algae followed by an explosion of snail
population. After I solved my algae problem by letting fast growing plants
go wild, I pulled by hand about 30 snails from the tank. So far, the
population os snails stays reasonable. I think it is healthy for the tank to
have few snails.

--
Jenya
Computers are useless. They can only give answers.-Pablo Picasso

Old 20-04-2003, 06:15 AM
LeighMo

Correct me if I am wrong, but it is my observation that exploding population
of snails usually indicates algae problem.

Either that, or overfeeding.

Snails, contrary to popular belief, don't live on thin air. If you have a
snail population explosion, they are eating something. Either algae or
leftover fishfood.

Marvin, if you get rid of your snails (with loaches or whatever), you will
likely find yourself with a huge algae problem instead. Get your tank in
balance, and the snail population will drop.

I welcome snails in my tank. They are terrific algae-eaters, and a natural
part of the ecosystem.

Leigh

Old 20-04-2003, 06:15 AM
Marvin Hlavac

"LeighMo" wrote in message
Correct me if I am wrong, but it is my observation that exploding population
of snails usually indicates algae problem.

Either that, or overfeeding.

Snails, contrary to popular belief, don't live on thin air. If you have a
snail population explosion, they are eating something. Either algae or
leftover fishfood.

Marvin, if you get rid of your snails (with loaches or whatever), you will
likely find yourself with a huge algae problem instead. Get your tank in
balance, and the snail population will drop.

I welcome snails in my tank. They are terrific algae-eaters, and a natural
part of the ecosystem.

Leigh

Thanks to all for snail-eating fish recommendations. I will observe what my new
amano shrimps do for the next few days and if the situation does not improve I
will head to my local fish store. If a fish gets too big or unruly I can always
return her to the LFS or give it to someone after my snail problem is gone.

As for algae, at the present time there is no problem other than front glass
needs cleaning occasionally. Last algae problem I had in September when the
aquarium was about 6 weeks old. On Leigh's recommendation however I will feed
less over the next little while. Presently I feed once daily and as far as I can
see food doesn't get much chance to get to the bottom but I will still reduce
it.

--
Marvin
hlavac (at) rogers (dot) com

Old 20-04-2003, 06:15 AM
Dave Millman

Marvin Hlavac wrote:

Thanks to all for snail-eating fish recommendations. I will observe what my new
amano shrimps do for the next few days and if the situation does not improve I
will head to my local fish store.

Marvin,

Just to be really clear, your new shrimp will have no impact on your snails. The
snails, but shrimp will not.

Old 20-04-2003, 06:15 AM
Marvin Hlavac

"Dave Millman" wrote in message
Marvin Hlavac wrote:

Thanks to all for snail-eating fish recommendations. I will observe what my

new
amano shrimps do for the next few days and if the situation does not improve

will head to my local fish store.

Marvin,

Just to be really clear, your new shrimp will have no impact on your snails.

The

impact your
snails, but shrimp will not.

Thanks Dave,

I've had 25 Amano Shrimps in my 360L (90g) aquarium a few days now and you are
right about them not having any impact on the snail population. I can see a lot
of eggs all over my lawn of micro chain sword. Out of the fish I currently have
I've only observed SAE eating eggs once. I will most likely have to go to an LFS
soon to get a fish or two out of the ones that were recommended in previous
posts. Most likely though I will just wait a little longer just to see if their
population growth slows down. I would not mind having some snails but definitely
I don't want thousands of them here. I reduced the amount of food I give my fish
as Leigh recommended.

--
Marvin
hlavac (at) rogers (dot) com