Old 27-11-2010, 05:51 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Gopher Gopher is offline

Default wisteria

In message , Janet
writes
In article ,
says...

In article , Pam Moore
writes
The trouble with having a wisteria

Is that next to a very old barn and four foot wall it causes a lot of
damage! Having tried to kill the plant the garden owner has been left
with a huge stump and insistent shoots coming up.

Drill holes in the cut surface of the stump, stuff them with tree-stump
killer, and cover with a plastic-bag hat(tied on) so rain can't wash it
out. The holes should be all around the outside perimeter, use the
biggest drill-bit.

If any shoots/suckers appear cut them off straight away to prevent
photosynthesis; it's another way to starve any root to death.

I wouldn't attempt to dig out a big root of anything, by the
foundation of an old wall. Better to let it naturally decay so the
ground will very slowly settle back down.

Janet

I agree with this but would suggest that rather than cutting off any
shoots or suckers that may appear, try to break/pull them off right at
the connection point. Cutting can sometimes act as pruning and encourage
growth.
--
Gopher .... I know my place!