Old 26-11-2010, 01:07 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default wisteria

The trouble with having a wisteria right outside my front door is the
leaves falling now, like snow, and the blossoms falling in May/June.
However, I'll have forgotten the leaves when the flowers come again
next year!

Pam in Bristol
Old 26-11-2010, 02:13 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In message , Pam Moore
writes
The trouble with having a wisteria right outside my front door is the
leaves falling now, like snow, and the blossoms falling in May/June.
However, I'll have forgotten the leaves when the flowers come again
next year!

Pam in Bristol

Seems like there may be real snow en route to your front door at the
moment Pam. And eventually to mine perhaps! Good luck and keep warm:-))
--
Gopher .... I know my place! It's N. Dorset oooohhhh aaarrgghh!
Old 27-11-2010, 02:29 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In article , Pam Moore
writes
The trouble with having a wisteria

Is that next to a very old barn and four foot wall it causes a lot of
damage! Having tried to kill the plant the garden owner has been left
with a huge stump and insistent shoots coming up.
I have tried to dig it out as it had expanded towards a very old wall
and was pushing it out however trying to kill it completely has been
largely unsuccessful with bits coming up all over the place.

Yes i know they are lovely, yes i know it has wonderful flowers but next
to a 17th century wall it has its problems!

Janet
--
Janet Tweedy
Dalmatian Telegraph
Old 27-11-2010, 02:13 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Fri, 26 Nov 2010 14:13:37 +0000, Gopher wrote:

In message , Pam Moore
writes
The trouble with having a wisteria right outside my front door is the
leaves falling now, like snow, and the blossoms falling in May/June.
However, I'll have forgotten the leaves when the flowers come again
next year!

Pam in Bristol

Seems like there may be real snow en route to your front door at the
moment Pam. And eventually to mine perhaps! Good luck and keep warm:-))

You were right, but so far only a sprinkling and mostly gone now!

Pam in Bristol
Old 27-11-2010, 05:49 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In message , Pam Moore
writes
On Fri, 26 Nov 2010 14:13:37 +0000, Gopher wrote:

In message , Pam Moore
writes
The trouble with having a wisteria right outside my front door is the
leaves falling now, like snow, and the blossoms falling in May/June.
However, I'll have forgotten the leaves when the flowers come again
next year!

Pam in Bristol

Seems like there may be real snow en route to your front door at the
moment Pam. And eventually to mine perhaps! Good luck and keep warm:-))

You were right, but so far only a sprinkling and mostly gone now!

Pam in Bristol

Not here .... we have rather a lot. We usually get off lightly but not
on this occasion.

--
Gopher .... I know my place!

Old 27-11-2010, 05:51 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In message , Janet
writes
In article ,
says...

In article , Pam Moore
writes
The trouble with having a wisteria

Is that next to a very old barn and four foot wall it causes a lot of
damage! Having tried to kill the plant the garden owner has been left
with a huge stump and insistent shoots coming up.

Drill holes in the cut surface of the stump, stuff them with tree-stump
killer, and cover with a plastic-bag hat(tied on) so rain can't wash it
out. The holes should be all around the outside perimeter, use the
biggest drill-bit.

If any shoots/suckers appear cut them off straight away to prevent
photosynthesis; it's another way to starve any root to death.

I wouldn't attempt to dig out a big root of anything, by the
foundation of an old wall. Better to let it naturally decay so the
ground will very slowly settle back down.

Janet

I agree with this but would suggest that rather than cutting off any
shoots or suckers that may appear, try to break/pull them off right at
the connection point. Cutting can sometimes act as pruning and encourage
growth.
--
Gopher .... I know my place!
Old 28-11-2010, 02:31 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In article , Janet
writes
Drill holes in the cut surface of the stump, stuff them with tree-stump
killer, and cover with a plastic-bag hat(tied on) so rain can't wash it
out. The holes should be all around the outside perimeter, use the
biggest drill-bit.

If any shoots/suckers appear cut them off straight away to prevent
photosynthesis; it's another way to starve any root to death.

I wouldn't attempt to dig out a big root of anything, by the
foundation of an old wall. Better to let it naturally decay so the
ground will very slowly settle back down.

Janet

Sensible advice as usual Janet. We have painted it but did not drill
holes first. I'll try that. i also have a suspicion that there are more
tendrils coming up away from the main root but it's next to a largely
overgrown and self seeded clump of trees which i haven't yet got to!
That's the trouble when non gardeners have an acre which was previously
gardened well, They never knew what self sown trees were not stuff that
should have been heavily reduced!
It's taken a bout 18 months to get half the beds cleared and we found
what looked like three mounds of ivy possibly over chopped down tree
stumps to actually cover 30 foot by 40 foot of rockeries!

I'll try that drill method next week, Thanks for the tip

Janet
Old 28-11-2010, 02:32 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In article , Gopher
writes
I agree with this but would suggest that rather than cutting off any
shoots or suckers that may appear, try to break/pull them off right at
the connection point. Cutting can sometimes act as pruning and
encourage growth.

If the suckers/shoots are coming up away from the pat is it possible
that they have rooted?

[IBC] wisteria luc tran Bonsai 2 23-03-2003 05:20 PM
Wisteria Shelly Hurd Bonsai 0 14-03-2003 06:08 PM
Wisteria Question Lilly Gardening 10 19-02-2003 03:27 AM
Wisteria! Cereoid+10 Gardening 0 23-01-2003 07:28 PM
Wisteria!! GrampysGurl Gardening 1 23-01-2003 06:09 PM