Old 29-11-2010, 03:28 AM posted to rec.gardens

Default ID this plant

On 11/28/10 6:49 PM, Higgs Boson wrote:
On Nov 28, 5:20 pm, mleblanca wrote:
On Nov 28, 2:34 pm, Higgs Boson wrote:

Came up in one of the rose beds. Didn't pull it out because foliage
looked interesting. Anybody recognize?

IMG]http://i55.tinypic.com/2aafqf5.jpg[/IMG]

TIA

HB

Hi
It could be Dodonaea 'Purpurea' Purple Hopseed Bush

Emilie

Very good call! I went there and the leaves look very similar.
So I will leave it to do its thing for a while and see what happens.

Thank you!

HB

Yes, in Santa Monica, this could indeed be Dodonaea. It's widely
planted in southern California. I see several in my own neighborhood.

Watch out! It can grow into a very large shrub -- to 15 feet tall and
almost as wide -- and crowd out your rose.

--
David E. Ross
Climate: California Mediterranean