Old 29-11-2010, 09:01 PM
lannerman lannerman is offline
Registered User

Location: Lanner. Cornwall.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Higgs Boson View Post
Came up in one of the rose beds. Didn't pull it out because foliage
looked interesting. Anybody recognize?

IMG]http://i55.tinypic.com/2aafqf5.jpg[/IMG]

TIA

HB
yes. its definantly Dodonea viscosa 'Purpurea' , it makes a beautiful bushy evergreen shrub and has large reddish purple seed pods. It grows very well down here In Cornwall uk, as its incredibly salt tolerant but its main attribute is its resistance to drought, so Ideal in a tub. it seems to be hardy down to -4 celcius and benefits from spring pruning. I grow alot from seed and I would imagine this is how you got yours.
best wishes, Lannerman