Old 29-11-2010, 08:37 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Mike Lyle Mike Lyle is offline

Default Hiatus hernia and a neglected garden.

harry wrote:
On Nov 29, 3:52 pm, Baz wrote:
I have this hernia and I am worrying about the state of the veg patch
covered with weeds.
It all looks ok. now with the snow!

I havn't done anything for weeks an weeks and there are lots of jobs
I have not done, so I have to start somewhere when my condition is
sorted out.

Could I just in spring dig and sow/plant and add my compost as I go?

Or should I dig in some compost, and wait a bit before sowing and
planting?

In the past I have done the Autumn digging but this year no chance.

Baz

I wouldn't worry. I have dug in Spring. No discernable difference. I
think Autumn digging helps get rid of soil pests & the frost breaks up
clay but that's all. Just a bit harder work in the Spring.

It would very likely be OK for ordinary purposes if you have enough
compost simply to spread a good layer on the surface now, without
digging at all: you could try it this year, and blame me if it doesn't
work.

(An h.h. is a real nuisance, isn't it? The predictive texting on my
pocket telephone calls it a "hiatus heroic", which is a bit of an
exaggeration: I don't feel at all Homeric. My doctor realised I had one
when I reported the sensations on getting in and out of the car, but
especially into a kayak; one feels such a fool, puffing after simply
putting one's shoes on!)

--
Mike.