Old 29-11-2010, 03:52 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Hiatus hernia and a neglected garden.

I have this hernia and I am worrying about the state of the veg patch
covered with weeds.
It all looks ok. now with the snow!

I havn't done anything for weeks an weeks and there are lots of jobs I have
not done, so I have to start somewhere when my condition is sorted out.

Could I just in spring dig and sow/plant and add my compost as I go?

Or should I dig in some compost, and wait a bit before sowing and planting?

In the past I have done the Autumn digging but this year no chance.

Baz
Old 29-11-2010, 04:22 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Baz" wrote ...

I have this hernia and I am worrying about the state of the veg patch
covered with weeds.
It all looks ok. now with the snow!

I havn't done anything for weeks an weeks and there are lots of jobs I have
not done, so I have to start somewhere when my condition is sorted out.

Could I just in spring dig and sow/plant and add my compost as I go?

Or should I dig in some compost, and wait a bit before sowing and planting?

In the past I have done the Autumn digging but this year no chance.

With our soil we have to dig in spring before planting even if we have dug
in autumn as it goes solid with rain, being Thames silt/clay. I would dig in
the compost in spring and sow and plant. If the compost is well rotted there
should not be a problem.

Old 29-11-2010, 05:34 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Nov 29, 3:52*pm, Baz wrote:
I have this hernia and I am worrying about the state of the veg patch
covered with weeds.
It all looks ok. now with the snow!

I havn't done anything for weeks an weeks and there are lots of jobs I have
not done, so I have to start somewhere when my condition is sorted out.

Could I just in spring dig and sow/plant and add my compost as I go?

Or should I dig in some compost, and wait a bit before sowing and planting?

In the past I have done the Autumn digging but this year no chance.

Baz

I wouldn't worry. I have dug in Spring. No discernable difference. I
think Autumn digging helps get rid of soil pests & the frost breaks up
clay but that's all. Just a bit harder work in the Spring.
Old 29-11-2010, 08:37 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

harry wrote:
On Nov 29, 3:52 pm, Baz wrote:
I have this hernia and I am worrying about the state of the veg patch
covered with weeds.
It all looks ok. now with the snow!

I havn't done anything for weeks an weeks and there are lots of jobs
I have not done, so I have to start somewhere when my condition is
sorted out.

Could I just in spring dig and sow/plant and add my compost as I go?

Or should I dig in some compost, and wait a bit before sowing and
planting?

In the past I have done the Autumn digging but this year no chance.

Baz

I wouldn't worry. I have dug in Spring. No discernable difference. I
think Autumn digging helps get rid of soil pests & the frost breaks up
clay but that's all. Just a bit harder work in the Spring.

It would very likely be OK for ordinary purposes if you have enough
compost simply to spread a good layer on the surface now, without
digging at all: you could try it this year, and blame me if it doesn't
work.

(An h.h. is a real nuisance, isn't it? The predictive texting on my
pocket telephone calls it a "hiatus heroic", which is a bit of an
exaggeration: I don't feel at all Homeric. My doctor realised I had one
when I reported the sensations on getting in and out of the car, but
especially into a kayak; one feels such a fool, puffing after simply
putting one's shoes on!)

--
Mike.

Old 30-11-2010, 09:22 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Bob Hobden" wrote in
:

With our soil we have to dig in spring before planting even if we have
dug in autumn as it goes solid with rain, being Thames silt/clay. I
would dig in the compost in spring and sow and plant. If the compost
is well rotted there should not be a problem.

Thats good news.

Under the snow the plots are literally covered in groundsel and bearing in
mind that in spring I am going to be much buisier than usual with the extra
digging, could I dig in the groundsel or remove it, which is time
consuming, and time is going to be against me. Of course I will remove
docks, dandelions etc.

Baz

Neglected roses simfan Roses 12 30-04-2011 12:07 AM
Neglected and heavily overgrown garden John Sankus About GardenBanter 1 01-08-2008 11:25 PM
Prepping a neglected garden for next yesr? (central VA) The Other Harry Gardening 3 27-06-2003 05:32 AM
Neglected planter david United Kingdom 1 13-04-2003 10:08 AM
Pruning neglected, overgrown pear tree Ed Evans Gardening 3 24-03-2003 02:08 PM