Old 30-11-2010, 03:14 AM posted to rec.gardens
Higgs Boson Higgs Boson is offline

Default ID this plant

On Nov 29, 1:01*pm, lannerman
wrote:
Higgs Boson;906212 Wrote:

Came up in one of the rose beds. *Didn't pull it out because foliage
looked interesting. *Anybody recognize?

IMG]http://i55.tinypic.com/2aafqf5.jpg[/IMG]

TIA

HB

yes. its definantly Dodonea viscosa 'Purpurea' , it makes a beautiful
bushy evergreen shrub and has large reddish purple seed pods. It grows
very well down here In Cornwall uk, as its incredibly salt tolerant but
its main attribute is its resistance to drought, so Ideal in a tub. it
seems to be hardy down to -4 celcius and benefits from spring pruning. I
grow alot from seed and I would imagine this is how you got yours.
best wishes, Lannerman

Thanks, Lannerman -- but I didn't plant it. It just volunteered one
day, and as I wrote earlier, the foliage was so attractive that I
thought I'd let it grow for a while. With all the good input from the
NG, I am definitely going to nurture it.

Tx to all

HB

--
lannerman