Old 30-11-2010, 05:04 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
[email protected] stephen.hull@btinternet.com is offline

Default Hide and Hedgehogs

In 2008 at the bottom of our back garden in each corner we have
made two hides for hedgehogs to reside in over winter, these hides
consist of branches, heavy duty liners over the branches to make
them waterproof and heavy sods of earth over top.

Pictures here;
http://stephen.hull.mediacave.co.uk/example/hide1.jpg
http://stephen.hull.mediacave.co.uk/example/hide2.jpg

A month ago I lined the inner sleeping area of one of the hides
with hay, we have not had anything live in them yet.

However!

On Friday night the outside security light came on just as I was
getting into bed so I looked out the window and to my delight I
saw a hedgehog trundling up the garden path, he had indeed set off
the light but my concern is that it may be too cold for him to
find food as the ground is frozen solid and the hedgehog may not
be ready to hibernate as he was obviously looking for food, Anyway
on Monday I decided to inspect one of the hides and as I carefully
pushed my hand into the opening a felt the prickly feel of a
hedgehog so I presume this is the same hedgehog I saw on friday
who has taken up residence in the hide I recently filled with hay.

My question is, shouldn't the hedgehog already be hibernating by
now? I think he has been caught out by the sudden cold spell and
may not be ready for hibernation.

Yesterday I made a special feeding house (mdf) with a double
entrance with offset openings to stop cats getting in and the
centre chamber has a small bowl of fresh cat food, this should be
accessible to hedgehogs should the need to beef themselves up for
the winter but it will also stop cats scoffing the food.

Today I decided to push in some lose hay in the entrance to add a
little more protection and I could still feel the hedgehog very
close to the entrance and not in the centre of the hide.

Any thoughts on the hibernation being perhaps too late for this
particular hedgehog or should I not be concerned?

Stephen.

--
http://www.stephen.hull.btinternet.co.uk
Coach painting tips and techniques + Land Rover colour codes