Old 02-12-2010, 10:30 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible
Bill who putters Bill who putters is offline

Default Ecological impact of soil amendments

In article , (Una) wrote:

Steve Peek wrote:
"Google" a photo to be sure, but around here red root pigweed is wild
amaranth. The leaves are edible like spinach and in the fall the grain is
very healthy. I always leave one or two in the garden.

Yes, it is edible, even fairly tasty when young and tender. However,
like rhubarb leaves pigweed has oxalate crystals and I don't want much
oxalate in my diet. Also, this pigweed accumulates nitrates, which I
also don't want to eat much of, and in light of the fact I am adding
so much manure to the soil the available nitrates are likely to be high.

Purslane is edible too, and tastier than pigweed. So are the mustards.

Una

Purslane is the plant with highest omega 3 I believe.

--
Bill S. Jersey USA zone 5 shade garden

Daniel Moynihan and Dennis Kucinich in 2012 !