Old 02-12-2010, 09:22 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

Default Sugar Beets Article 90% engineered?

Dan L wrote:
http://www.fastcompany.com/1706717/b...y+Headlines%29

I assume that the reporting here is straight, I am not about to wade through
the court ruling.

That being the case this is a good example of what I see as the key problem
of GM food. The potential risks to the environment and human health are
there but minor compared to this. The central problem is the big companies
are looking to control major sections of human food production and are
prepared to use the law (or not if it doesn't suit them) to achieve that. I
don't think the precedent history nor the legal minds who wrote patent law
and intellectual property law ever imagined that it could be used for such a
purpose.

The true absurdity of this situation and the power of The Machine can be
seen in media reactions to GM issues. Too often any oppostion to Monsanto
et al is portrayed as opposition to free enterprise and hence to freedom.
It is exactly the reverse. The very people who will only very grudgingly
give their goverment power are quite happy for the electorate to lose
control of food production to organisations that cannot be controlled by the
democratic processes that allow those people to control their government.

The Space Merchants are here and gaining ground.

David