Old 02-12-2010, 02:38 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

Default Sugar Beets Article 90% engineered?

http://www.fastcompany.com/1706717/b...y+Headlines%29

Old 02-12-2010, 05:24 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

In article ,
Dan L wrote:

http://www.fastcompany.com/1706717/b...to-sugarbeets-
to-be-destroyed?partner=rss&utm_source=feedburner&utm_me dium=feed&utm_campaign
=Feed%3A+fastcompany%2Fheadlines+%28Fast+Company+H eadlines%29

As Percy Schmeiser found out, if Monsanto's patented genes find their
way into your seeds, then the seeds belong to Monsanto.

Monsanto, supported by the USDA, apparently, will not isolate its beet
seed crop, thereby exposing the environment to genetically modified
pollen.
--
- Billy
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MyE5wjc4XOw
Old 02-12-2010, 05:38 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

In article ,
Dan L wrote:

http://www.fastcompany.com/1706717/b...to-sugarbeets-
to-be-destroyed?partner=rss&utm_source=feedburner&utm_me dium=feed&utm_campaign
=Feed%3A+fastcompany%2Fheadlines+%28Fast+Company+H eadlines%29

http://www.slashfood.com/2010/11/29/introducing-the-frankenapple/

Introducing the Frankenapple

Designed by British Columbia-based Okanagan Specialty Fruits, the new
"Arctic" apple -- or what critics are calling the "botox apple," reports
Gawker -- is said to have "silencing" enzymes, which would prevent it
from looking old, no matter how old it gets. While this may be arguably
okay for foreheads, we take it most people would rather know when their
food is past its prime. Just like waxing fruit and piping nitrogen into
fish to make it look younger, preventing fruit to brown would no longer
allow us to know when it's gone bad.
--
- Billy
Old 02-12-2010, 08:28 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

In article
,
Billy wrote:

In article ,
Dan L wrote:

http://www.fastcompany.com/1706717/b...anto-sugarbeet
s-
to-be-destroyed?partner=rss&utm_source=feedburner&utm_me dium=feed&utm_campai
gn
=Feed%3A+fastcompany%2Fheadlines+%28Fast+Company+H eadlines%29

http://www.slashfood.com/2010/11/29/introducing-the-frankenapple/

Introducing the Frankenapple

Designed by British Columbia-based Okanagan Specialty Fruits, the new
"Arctic" apple -- or what critics are calling the "botox apple," reports
Gawker -- is said to have "silencing" enzymes, which would prevent it
from looking old, no matter how old it gets. While this may be arguably
okay for foreheads, we take it most people would rather know when their
food is past its prime. Just like waxing fruit and piping nitrogen into
fish to make it look younger, preventing fruit to brown would no longer
allow us to know when it's gone bad.

Sad to think this issue needs to be in a curriculum.

http://www.audioenglish.net/dictionary/fresh.htm

I have to go 20 miles to get cider that is not pasteurized used to be
6 miles 5 years ago. I believe germ paranoia is a part of our quality
food decline. Still some folks that say cleanliness is next to
godliness are sort of not understanding that our immune systems need
challengers to be strong.
I contend playing in a dirty sand box is good and living in a sterile
world is bad.

--
Bill S. Jersey USA zone 5 shade garden

Daniel Moynihan and Dennis Kucinich in 2012 !

Old 02-12-2010, 09:22 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

Dan L wrote:
http://www.fastcompany.com/1706717/b...y+Headlines%29

I assume that the reporting here is straight, I am not about to wade through
the court ruling.

That being the case this is a good example of what I see as the key problem
of GM food. The potential risks to the environment and human health are
there but minor compared to this. The central problem is the big companies
are looking to control major sections of human food production and are
prepared to use the law (or not if it doesn't suit them) to achieve that. I
don't think the precedent history nor the legal minds who wrote patent law
and intellectual property law ever imagined that it could be used for such a
purpose.

The true absurdity of this situation and the power of The Machine can be
seen in media reactions to GM issues. Too often any oppostion to Monsanto
et al is portrayed as opposition to free enterprise and hence to freedom.
It is exactly the reverse. The very people who will only very grudgingly
give their goverment power are quite happy for the electorate to lose
control of food production to organisations that cannot be controlled by the
democratic processes that allow those people to control their government.

The Space Merchants are here and gaining ground.

David

Old 02-12-2010, 11:41 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

Billy wrote:
In article ,
Dan L wrote:

[...]

I read about the apple also, the article stated that it would be more
than five years before it would be on the market. They only have one
tree.

Welcome to Eaarth

Old 03-12-2010, 12:04 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible

In article ,
Dan L wrote:

Billy wrote:
In article ,
Dan L wrote:

http://www.fastcompany.com/1706717/b...santo-sugarbee
[...]

Sounds more like Helll :O(

GMO plants that let you spray more herbicides. It's not a hand basket,
but it should do.
Old 03-12-2010, 12:08 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible

In article ,
"David Hare-Scott" wrote:

Dan L wrote:
[...]

It is sufficient to cross pollinate existing cultivars with GMO pollen,
and it is destroyed. Once Monsanto's gene is in the cultivar, it belongs
to Monsanto.
Old 03-12-2010, 05:41 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

Billy wrote:

It is sufficient to cross pollinate existing cultivars with GMO pollen,
and it is destroyed. Once Monsanto's gene is in the cultivar, it belongs
to Monsanto.

This is a point where current law needs to catch up but it's not an
easily resolved issue.

On the one hand seed stock from Monsanto can be sold with the caveat
that the plants be harvested before they bloom. And reasonable efforts
can be made to keep cross polination from happening.

On the other hand if a farmer took no action to encourage pollination
bees will be bees and it happens.

Apple patents can be enforced because apple trees don't breed true. The
only way to get a specific cultivar is to graft a branch from an
existing tree. The more widely pollen spreads the less enforcible a
patent is. The problem is this makes the investment by Monsanto less
profitable so they have less incentive to make the next development in
crop changes.
Old 03-12-2010, 08:15 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

In article ,
Doug Freyburger wrote:

Billy wrote:

[...]

"Poor Mexico - so far from God and so close to the United States!"
- Porfirio Diaz

http://www.abc.net.au/science/articl...24/2499950.htm

Mexican corn contamination confirmed
Tuesday, 24 February 2009
A team led by Elena Alvarez-Buylla of the National Autonomous University
in Mexico City looked at nearly 2000 samples from 100 fields in the
region from 2001 and 2004, and found that around 1% of the samples had
genes that had jumped from GM varieties.

"We confirmed that there was contamination in 2001 and also found
contamination in 2004, which means that it either persisted in the local
maize that we sampled or that it was reintroduced, which is less
likely," says Alvarez-Buylla.

She says the difference between previous studies and her research lay in
the samples chosen for gene sequencing and in the molecular technique
for decrypting the DNA.

The investigators looked for two specific genes that had escaped from
biotech corn, and found them in some fields, but not in others.

Shielding failure

Alvarez-Buylla says the evidence sheds stark light on the failure of
efforts to shield Mexico from unauthorised GM corn.
The country imposed a moratorium on the planting of transgenic maize in
1998 in order to protect genetic diversity. It is the home of about 60
traditional domesticated strains, also called landraces, as well as
several wild strains.

Transgenic seeds are entering the country, most probably from the United
States, and getting mixed with local seeds in trade among small farmers,
says Alvarez-Buylla.

http://current.com/news/89838219_tra...found-in-wild-
mexican-corn.htm
FEBRUARY 23, 2009
Transgenic contamination found in wild Mexican corn

Some people might ask why I continue to talk about this. Well, that is
because biodiversity to me is the linchpin to our survival as a species.
Without it and with GMO monocrops deciding our food source it is highly
likely in my view that we will face a worldwide famine in the future
because of this transgenic contamination that is killing biodiversity.
----

Far from home, GMO plants are popping up unexpectedly, and they will
destroy biodiversity, if allowed to disseminate. Biodiversity is the
breeding stock for our agriculture which needs to be tweaked
occasionally as pests find new ways to attack vast, perennial fields of
monocultures.