Old 03-12-2010, 12:01 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible
Billy[_10_] Billy[_10_] is offline

Default advice re my failures ths year....

In article ,
asgilbert wrote:

I grew courgettes in planters this year....decent crop, but the plants
died early with the leaves turning sort of powdery grey. Can anyone
recommend a good reliable variety?
Likewise spring onions. Tried them in planters and sections of rain
guttering. They grew to only a tiny size, despite watering, rich soil,
TLC etc.
Red onions...planted them in sets and they just struggled and died.
Again decent clay soil with plenty of nutrient. They were in a dappled
shady piosition, do onions need full sun?
Any advice, suggestion etc gratefully appreciated.
Andrew

What happened to your courgettes is what happens to Cucurbitaceae when
the weather cools and there leaves get damp. They will last longer if
you can keep water off their leaves during the growing season. Even if
the mold doesn't sprout right away, it establishes itself for when the
plant is vulnerable.

Perhaps your onions didn't get enough drainage, and most garden plants
can't get too much sun.
--
- Billy
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MyE5wjc4XOw