Old 03-12-2010, 05:16 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible
Billy[_10_] Billy[_10_] is offline

Default advice re my failures ths year....

In article ,
Dan L wrote:

Owdboggy wrote:
'David Hare-Scott[_2_ Wrote:
;906617']asgilbert wrote:-
I grew courgettes in planters this year....decent crop, but the
plants
died early with the leaves turning sort of powdery grey. Can anyone
recommend a good reliable variety?-

Powdery mildew will strike all the cultivars that I have seen if the
conditions suit the fungus, ie warm and wet.

David

Thompson and Morgan sell a variety of Courgette which we have found to
be resistent to Mildew. Not sure of the name off hand, but it is
advertised as such.
Onions adore sun. And do not omplain too much about Spring onions, in
40 odd years of growing veg I have never even managed to get the seeds
to germinate, never mind grow to any size. And before you all jump in
and tell me how to do it, I have tried every single method ever
suggested without success.

Another cause of powdery mildew is lack of air flow. If your plants are
protected from the wind, mold will be a problem. Too many plants
crowding each other will also prevent air flow. If plants are indoors a
small fan will also help plants.

Indoor zukes?

There were problems this year with the north "Bay" grape harvest. A
cool, damp summer gave way to a cool fall. Fearing mold, and mildew,
vineyardists pruned back the vines foliage to allow better penetration
of sun and air. That's when we got a week of heat that sunburned many of
the grapes, creating points of infection for the molds and mildews. Then
as quick as you could say "Bob's your uncle", we started getting light
rains. The winery where I worked lost a third of its crop.

Agriculture isn't for the faint at heart.
--
- Billy
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MyE5wjc4XOw