Old 08-12-2010, 12:08 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Pete[_9_] Pete[_9_] is offline

Default Propagator in December

wrote in message
harry wrote:
When I did tomatoes early last year they were terrible. ?Suggestion was
that
they didn't get enough light rather than warmth.

Any plant that has insufficient light is usually tall &lanky. So it's
easy to tell. Normal problem is failing to harden off plants grown in
lots of heat.

My early tomatoes (and aubergines) just didn't thrive. They grew very
weedy
and never got going, most died off by the time they got to repottable
size.

The implication to me would be dodgy seed (but later sewings of the same
seed produced better results) or dodgy soil (what I put it down to, but
when
I said that at the time everyone threw their arms in the air, etc :-)

Propogating Toms in December must be a not starter except for the pro's who
create their own little glasshouse world.

The plants need continuous good growing conditions - An April start would be
optimum in my non-pro, non- heated glass house.

Regards
Pete(The uncouth)
www.thecanalshop.com