Old 07-12-2010, 03:31 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Propagator in December

I have a Sankey heated propagator. Can anyone recommend seeds or anything I
could put in it now to get some benefit out of it?

mark

Old 07-12-2010, 03:50 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Tue, 7 Dec 2010 15:31:28 -0000, "mark"
wrote:

I have a Sankey heated propagator. Can anyone recommend seeds or anything I
could put in it now to get some benefit out of it?

Onions?
www.lincolnfuchsiasociety.info
Old 07-12-2010, 05:12 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Dec 7, 3:31*pm, "mark" wrote:
I have a Sankey heated propagator. *Can anyone recommend seeds or anything I
could put in it now to get some benefit *out of it?

mark

You need to be thinking where you'll put any plants you get early from
your propagator. It's a bit early for most things yet. The main
benefit of your propagator is in prolonging the season.
I have a big home made propagator that I can keep plants in until
they're quite big.
The sort of things I do is onions, as said, tomatoes, peppers, french&
runner beans. You can gain three weeks or so. But you have to have it
planned so that stuff can go to the greenhouse (with heating?) after
the propagator.
If you have no greenhouse, you will be that much later.
You can make a bit of money selling surplus plants too.
Don't forget, stuff needs "hardening off".
Old 07-12-2010, 10:22 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
No Name

harry wrote:
The sort of things I do is onions, as said, tomatoes, peppers, french&
runner beans. You can gain three weeks or so. But you have to have it
planned so that stuff can go to the greenhouse (with heating?) after
the propagator.

When I did tomatoes early last year they were terrible. Suggestion was that
they didn't get enough light rather than warmth.
Old 08-12-2010, 07:08 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Dec 7, 10:22*pm, wrote:
harry wrote:
The sort of things I do is onions, as said, tomatoes, peppers, french&
runner beans. You can gain three weeks or so. *But you have to have it
planned so that stuff can go to the greenhouse (with heating?) after
the propagator.

When I did tomatoes early last year they were terrible. *Suggestion was that
they didn't get enough light rather than warmth.

Any plant that has insufficient light is usually tall &lanky. So it's
easy to tell. Normal problem is failing to harden off plants grown in
lots of heat.

Old 08-12-2010, 10:14 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
No Name

harry wrote:
When I did tomatoes early last year they were terrible. ?Suggestion was that
they didn't get enough light rather than warmth.

Any plant that has insufficient light is usually tall &lanky. So it's
easy to tell. Normal problem is failing to harden off plants grown in
lots of heat.

My early tomatoes (and aubergines) just didn't thrive. They grew very weedy
and never got going, most died off by the time they got to repottable size.

The implication to me would be dodgy seed (but later sewings of the same
seed produced better results) or dodgy soil (what I put it down to, but when

Old 08-12-2010, 12:08 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

wrote in message
harry wrote:
When I did tomatoes early last year they were terrible. ?Suggestion was
that
they didn't get enough light rather than warmth.

Any plant that has insufficient light is usually tall &lanky. So it's
easy to tell. Normal problem is failing to harden off plants grown in
lots of heat.

My early tomatoes (and aubergines) just didn't thrive. They grew very
weedy
and never got going, most died off by the time they got to repottable
size.

The implication to me would be dodgy seed (but later sewings of the same
seed produced better results) or dodgy soil (what I put it down to, but
when
I said that at the time everyone threw their arms in the air, etc :-)

Propogating Toms in December must be a not starter except for the pro's who
create their own little glasshouse world.

The plants need continuous good growing conditions - An April start would be
optimum in my non-pro, non- heated glass house.

Regards
Pete(The uncouth)
www.thecanalshop.com

Old 08-12-2010, 01:25 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"mark" wrote in message
o.uk...
I have a Sankey heated propagator. Can anyone recommend seeds or anything
I could put in it now to get some benefit out of it?

mark

Thanks for the replies peeps. I've decided to hang on for a couple of
months.

mark

Old 09-12-2010, 11:12 AM
Registered User

Location: Chalfont St Giles

Quote:
Originally Posted by mark View Post
I've decided to hang on for a couple of
months.
People start growing the slower kinds of chillis as early as Jan, for example rocotos, habaneros.

Muscari in December Joe Gardening 11 16-12-2004 03:47 PM
NOVA: "Orchid Hunter" December 9, 2003 Larry Dighera Orchids 10 09-12-2003 10:32 PM
december? [email protected] Gardening 4 06-12-2003 04:42 AM
SPECIAL INVITATION: DECEMBER 31, 2003. Vassilopita as well as presentation of our work in WSEA Nikos Mastorakis Plant Biology 0 13-11-2003 11:24 PM
UK vCJD December 2002 Torsten Brinch sci.agriculture 0 26-04-2003 12:25 PM