Old 14-12-2010, 05:15 AM posted to sci.bio.botany
troy troy is offline

Default Germinating exotic seeds.

On 2010-12-14, Peter Jason wrote:
I use glass petri dishes which I fill with sifted soil.
This assembly is put into the microwave and zapped for 2 min
on high to kill spores, other seeds, and bugs.

When cool I moisten the result and insert the seeds.

Is this OK? When I put the lid on the petri dish to retard
moisture loss, and make them stackable, should I worry about
oxygen lockout?

I Imagine your not leaving these dishes for extended amounts of time sealed, in which case this seems reasonable. It would be surprising if the newly germinated plants were to deplete their oxygen supplies in the span of = 24 hrs between inspections. What sort of "exotic" seeds are you germinating?

--
Troy Most of the time,
Capheind some of the time,