Old 14-12-2010, 04:28 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible
Wilson[_5_] Wilson[_5_] is offline

Default OT but garden linked news Item Leaked Memo Sheds Light onMysterious Bee Die-Offs

On 12/14/10 8:37 AM, sometime in the recent past phorbin posted this:
http://www.alternet.org/story/149150...ht_on_mysterio
us_bee_die-offs_and_who%27s_to_blame/?page=entire

I started with OT because Bayer and other usual suspects are implicated.

You'll need to fix the URL.

An article from this last May says that banning 'neonicotinoids' in several
countries has shown bee populations rebounding - see http://bit.ly/aoSaaq

It states that following a ban on the pesticide group by France & Germany,
"last year the Italian Agriculture Ministry suspended the use of a class of
pesticides, nicotine-based neonicotinoids, as a "precautionary measure." The
compelling results - restored bee populations - prompted the government to
uphold the ban."

The seeds are treated and then the pesticide is systemic in the plant - now
there's real economy. 'Roundup ready' food anyone.

As a "precautionary measure." But not here in the US, not if it could cause
the restriction of the pesticide industries ability to profit. We'll never
hurt an industry as part of a 'precautionary measure.' We will always err on
the side of profit.

Watch this trailer http://pierreterre.com/video/nicotine-bees-trailer and
then write your congress person. Emails are good, but a letter can work wonders.

'Follow the money.' - Deepthroat

--
Wilson 44.69, -67.3