Old 15-12-2010, 11:49 AM
echinosum echinosum is offline
Registered User

Location: Chalfont St Giles

Quote:
Originally Posted by chris French View Post
Certainly the ones in Homebase are labelled as Nordmanns (that might not
be what they are though, who knows), the also had Fraser fir and
'Norwegian Pine'
Having looked again at your picture and compared it with our cut Nordmann at home, and some photos of Nordmanns, I'm inclined to the view that your photo is not a Nordmann. It just doesn't look right - Nordmanns seem to have a higher density of needles that pack into "cushions". It looks more like the picture of Fraser fir on Wikipedia. Abies fraseri - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia But, as I say, identifying these things exactly from a photo is a problem. As far as I can tell, it might also be Silver fir, which is the "original" Christmas tree Abies alba - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia among others.

"Norwegian pine" is a funny. Norway spruce Picea abies - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia is, of course, the most common kind of Christmas Tree in this country. That would be my first guess for what it is. The only species of pine which grows naturally in Norway is Pinus sylvestris, alias Scots pine. Scots Pine - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia Maybe it's a Scots pine they sourced from Norway, and were embarrassed about calling it Scots. There are nice dwarfed cultivars of Scots pine which would make a lovely conifer in a pot, if you didn't mind it being rather small to start with. Pinus mugo, which is a naturally dwarf pine that grows at high altitude in central and SW Europe, would also be nice - it also comes in many forms and cultivars.