Old 16-12-2010, 09:47 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
'Mike'[_4_] 'Mike'[_4_] is offline

Default Blue Tits nesting ...........

"kay" wrote in message

'Mike Coon[_2_ Wrote:
;907643']
Practising? Staking a claim?

My BTs are doing the same, perhaps with less fervour, but then they have

been doiong it for months. Sometimes there's a bit of conflict,
presumably
with potential competitors, hence the "Staking a claim".
.

From BTO:
"Roosting Survey
As the night draws in and you close the front door on the cold winter
day, spare a thought for small birds as they embark upon the long chilly
night. Some of these birds, such as Blue Tits, Great Tits and Wrens,
seek cavities in which to roost overnight, sometimes huddling together
to keep warm. Millions of nest boxes are provided in UK gardens and
these might provide an ideal network of 'bedrooms' for these birds. Help
the BTO to find out more, and discover the species roosting in your
garden, by participating in the BTO's Roosting Survey."

Does this explain it?

--
kay

Thanks Kay, but it was the extra activity which caught my eye. The nest box
under the veranda has had a 'resident Blue Tit' for the last few years
during the winter, and I discovered today, that a Blue Tit box we fitted
down the garden, has also had an 'overnighter'.

I am hoping that the activity will mean that we have a brood here next year,
that's why I was pleased to see that activity starts in March, which will be
fine for us as we are mainly away January to the end of March.

Many thanks again

Mike

Today, is the tomorrow, you were worrying about, yesterday.