Old 15-12-2010, 03:16 PM posted to uk.rec.birdwatching,uk.rec.gardening

Default Blue Tits nesting ...........

.......... or are they?

A terrific amount of activity in and around the nest box under the veranda
today. Many many visits, some with the bird staying in for quite a while.

Unable to see if nesting material is going in, my feeling is no.

Interesting point is that sometimes, when one bird is in the box, the other
will be on the Honeysuckle just outside, and try and look in. If the bird is
outside, the one inside stays inside for quite some while.

Activity been going on all day, not noticed it before. When the bird does
come out, it will fly from bush to bush or tree, not appearing to collect
anything, then fly back to the nest box.

Picture five, taken from the computer, shows the nest box up to the right so
I am getting a front row view http://www.myalbum.com/Album=4X3JO4J6

Any ideas what they are up to?

Mike

Today, is the tomorrow, you were worrying about, yesterday.

Old 15-12-2010, 03:47 PM posted to uk.rec.birdwatching,uk.rec.gardening

'Mike' wrote:
[...]

Practising? Staking a claim?

My BTs are doing the same, perhaps with less fervour, but then they have
been doiong it for months. Sometimes there's a bit of conflict, presumably
with potential competitors, hence the "Staking a claim".

Observers such as David Jones (diary at http://www.mybitoftheplanet.com/)
have seen that the male goes into the box to induce the female to come in
and appraise. But as soon as she does so he exits as if to give her
unfettered access... But he remains nearby on guard duty.

Mike.
--
If reply address is (invalid), remove spurious "@"
and substitute "plus" for +.

Old 15-12-2010, 03:51 PM posted to uk.rec.birdwatching,uk.rec.gardening

"Mike Coon" wrote in message
'Mike' wrote:
[...]

Thanks for that. I did wonder if they were 'practising' with the going from
bush to bush to tree etc.

When do they actually start building? I will be away for three months from
January so won't be able to observe.

Old 16-12-2010, 07:27 AM posted to uk.rec.birdwatching,uk.rec.gardening

"'Mike'" wrote in message
snip
Mike.
--
If reply address is (invalid), remove spurious "@"
and substitute "plus" for +.

Thanks for that. I did wonder if they were 'practising' with the going
from bush to bush to tree etc.

When do they actually start building? I will be away for three months from
January so won't be able to observe.

Mike

Take a look at David Jones' diaries for past years and mine at:-

http://www.daviv.com/wildlife_pages.htm

Cheers,

--
It is very strange, and very melancholy,
that the paucity of human pleasures

Old 16-12-2010, 08:20 AM posted to uk.rec.birdwatching,uk.rec.gardening

"Dave Hall" wrote in message

"'Mike'" wrote in message
snip
Mike.
--
If reply address is (invalid), remove spurious "@"
and substitute "plus" for +.

Thanks for that. I did wonder if they were 'practising' with the going
from bush to bush to tree etc.

When do they actually start building? I will be away for three months
from January so won't be able to observe.

Mike

Take a look at David Jones' diaries for past years and mine at:-

http://www.daviv.com/wildlife_pages.htm

Cheers,

--
It is very strange, and very melancholy,
that the paucity of human pleasures
should persuade us ever to call hunting
one of them. (Samuel Johnson)
Dave.

Very many thanks for that. It looks as if March is when things start to
happen.

:-)

Old 16-12-2010, 08:18 PM
kay kay is offline
Registered User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Coon[_2_] View Post
Practising? Staking a claim?

My BTs are doing the same, perhaps with less fervour, but then they have
been doiong it for months. Sometimes there's a bit of conflict, presumably
with potential competitors, hence the "Staking a claim".
.
From BTO:
"Roosting Survey
As the night draws in and you close the front door on the cold winter day, spare a thought for small birds as they embark upon the long chilly night. Some of these birds, such as Blue Tits, Great Tits and Wrens, seek cavities in which to roost overnight, sometimes huddling together to keep warm. Millions of nest boxes are provided in UK gardens and these might provide an ideal network of ‘bedrooms’ for these birds. Help the BTO to find out more, and discover the species roosting in your garden, by participating in the BTO’s Roosting Survey."

Does this explain it?
__________________
Old 16-12-2010, 09:47 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"kay" wrote in message

'Mike Coon[_2_ Wrote:
;907643']
Practising? Staking a claim?

My BTs are doing the same, perhaps with less fervour, but then they have

been doiong it for months. Sometimes there's a bit of conflict,
presumably
with potential competitors, hence the "Staking a claim".
.

From BTO:
"Roosting Survey
As the night draws in and you close the front door on the cold winter
day, spare a thought for small birds as they embark upon the long chilly
night. Some of these birds, such as Blue Tits, Great Tits and Wrens,
seek cavities in which to roost overnight, sometimes huddling together
to keep warm. Millions of nest boxes are provided in UK gardens and
these might provide an ideal network of 'bedrooms' for these birds. Help
the BTO to find out more, and discover the species roosting in your
garden, by participating in the BTO's Roosting Survey."

Does this explain it?

--
kay

Thanks Kay, but it was the extra activity which caught my eye. The nest box
under the veranda has had a 'resident Blue Tit' for the last few years
during the winter, and I discovered today, that a Blue Tit box we fitted
down the garden, has also had an 'overnighter'.

I am hoping that the activity will mean that we have a brood here next year,
that's why I was pleased to see that activity starts in March, which will be
fine for us as we are mainly away January to the end of March.

Many thanks again

Mike

Today, is the tomorrow, you were worrying about, yesterday.

OT - tits and string David[_21_] United Kingdom 11 25-04-2016 11:18 PM
Blue Tits flown the nest 'Mike'[_4_] United Kingdom 3 13-06-2011 07:04 AM
Blue Tits 'Mike'[_4_] United Kingdom 18 18-04-2011 10:46 AM
Blue Tits 'Mike'[_4_] United Kingdom 10 03-02-2011 10:57 AM
Blue tits and friends Dave Hill United Kingdom 13 21-12-2010 10:17 AM