Old 18-12-2010, 02:01 AM posted to rec.gardens
FarmI FarmI is offline

Default University Research

"David Hare-Scott" wrote in message
AlexStudent wrote:
Hello members of Garden Banter,

and usenet international news group rec.gardens.

I am a student studying Product Design at Salford University. For my
major project I am researching into gardening.

My aim is to design something that will make an aspect of gardening
easier whether that be carrying large loads or tools to storage of
gardening equipment.

Treading a very well worn path here. Did you by any chance check the
previous five or six questionaries offered by previous students?

I was wondering if you could answer a few questions for my research.

Ok but there are better ways of collecting this data. But those would
require some effort on your part so they are not so attractive.

Do you find any aspect of gardening painful or physically draining?

Yes. It mainly occurs as I walk past the lemon tree. Afterwards I feel
much better.

Oh, you mean that a wizz-bang labour saving device could relieve? No.

What problems do you come across whilst gardening?

Minor problems; red-bellied black snakes, green-arsed ants, rats, fruit
bats, pillaging possums and parrots. Major problems; eastern brown snakes,
thunder storms, heat and humidity in the summer, frost and icy winds in
the winter.

Are there any existing garden tools or equipment you struggle with or
feel like the design should be changed?

No, they are excellent in their simplicity. Or did you want me to write
your term paper too?

Any suggestions for problems that need solving would be greatly
appreciated!

I presume you mean your problems as you are the one asking the questions.
If it were me I would first establish in my own mind that the opportunity
or deficiency that I was looking to remedy actually exists. Secondly I
would determine if sending a survey out was likely to shed any light on it
or if there are much better methods of gathering this information.
Thirdly I would put much more effort into the design of said survey if in
fact it seems to be required.

LOL. I wonder if we could get some student to invent a machine that sends a
death ray through any computer used by students who pester gardeners?