Old 17-12-2010, 06:17 PM
Registered User

Default University Research

Hello members of Garden Banter,

I am a student studying Product Design at Salford University. For my major project I am researching into gardening.

My aim is to design something that will make an aspect of gardening easier whether that be carrying large loads or tools to storage of gardening equipment.

I was wondering if you could answer a few questions for my research.

Do you find any aspect of gardening painful or physically draining?

What problems do you come across whilst gardening?

Are there any existing garden tools or equipment you struggle with or feel like the design should be changed?

Any suggestions for problems that need solving would be greatly appreciated!

Many Thanks,

Alex
Old 17-12-2010, 10:00 PM posted to rec.gardens

AlexStudent wrote:
Hello members of Garden Banter,

and usenet international news group rec.gardens.

I am a student studying Product Design at Salford University. For my
major project I am researching into gardening.

My aim is to design something that will make an aspect of gardening
easier whether that be carrying large loads or tools to storage of
gardening equipment.

Treading a very well worn path here. Did you by any chance check the
previous five or six questionaries offered by previous students?

I was wondering if you could answer a few questions for my research.

Ok but there are better ways of collecting this data. But those would
require some effort on your part so they are not so attractive.

Do you find any aspect of gardening painful or physically draining?

Yes. It mainly occurs as I walk past the lemon tree. Afterwards I feel
much better.

Oh, you mean that a wizz-bang labour saving device could relieve? No.

What problems do you come across whilst gardening?

Minor problems; red-bellied black snakes, green-arsed ants, rats, fruit
bats, pillaging possums and parrots. Major problems; eastern brown snakes,
thunder storms, heat and humidity in the summer, frost and icy winds in the
winter.

Are there any existing garden tools or equipment you struggle with or
feel like the design should be changed?

No, they are excellent in their simplicity. Or did you want me to write
your term paper too?

Any suggestions for problems that need solving would be greatly
appreciated!

I presume you mean your problems as you are the one asking the questions.
If it were me I would first establish in my own mind that the opportunity or
deficiency that I was looking to remedy actually exists. Secondly I would
determine if sending a survey out was likely to shed any light on it or if
there are much better methods of gathering this information. Thirdly I
would put much more effort into the design of said survey if in fact it
seems to be required.

David

Old 18-12-2010, 02:01 AM posted to rec.gardens

"David Hare-Scott" wrote in message
AlexStudent wrote:
[...]

LOL. I wonder if we could get some student to invent a machine that sends a
death ray through any computer used by students who pester gardeners?

Old 18-12-2010, 04:30 AM posted to rec.gardens

AlexStudent wrote:
Hello members of Garden Banter,

I am not a member of Garden Banter, does this mean I should not answer your
questionnaire? If so too bad!

I am a student studying Product Design at Salford University. For my
major project I am researching into gardening.

Sorry to here about your school, try Stanford University instead.

My aim is to design something that will make an aspect of gardening
easier whether that be carrying large loads or tools to storage of
gardening equipment.

Good luck, lots of people trying to improve my favorite gardening tool...
The pickup truck! It is great for caring large loads and tools.

I was wondering if you could answer a few questions for my research.

Ok.

Do you find any aspect of gardening painful or physically draining?

Are you stupid, gardening is supposed to painful and physically draining!
It is my form of physical and mental exercise that makes me feel better.
No pain, No Gain!

What problems do you come across whilst gardening?

Helping others do their homework.

Are there any existing garden tools or equipment you struggle with or
feel like the design should be changed?

I struggle with the payments for my pickup truck, my favorite garden tool.
The design of my truck is just fine.

Any suggestions for problems that need solving would be greatly
appreciated!

Find another school. Your instructor must be a complete moron.
If I had a thought for improving anything, I would patten the idea my self
and get filthy rich! Not tell it some stupid kid.

Many Thanks,

Alex

Good Luck Alex.

Old 18-12-2010, 02:42 PM posted to rec.gardens

"AlexStudent" wrote in message

I am a student studying Product Design at Salford University. For my
major project I am researching into gardening.

My aim is to design something that will make an aspect of gardening
easier whether that be carrying large loads or tools to storage of
gardening equipment.

Teaching experience suggests this is an unfeasibly broad topic
for a student project. In order to promote completion, research
topics should be as narrow as your instructors permit.

Suggested question: do successful innovations in gardening
tools originate in the current tools industry or from outsiders?

--
Don Phillipson
Carlsbad Springs

Old 18-12-2010, 03:51 PM posted to rec.gardens

LOL. I wonder if we could get some student to invent a machine that sends
a death ray through any computer used by students who pester gardeners?

yet another type of garden pest?

Old 21-12-2010, 01:15 AM posted to rec.gardens

LOL. I wonder if we could get some student to invent a machine that sends a
death ray through any computer used by students who pester gardeners?

There is already one. A killfile. I'm seriously considering zapping
garden banter but I suppose that would be overkill.....
--

09=IX