Old 23-12-2010, 06:30 AM posted to rec.gardens

Default The Best And The Worst Heirloom Tomatoes

EVP MAN wrote:

Put in a small
4'x12' asparagus bed last year using one year crowns. Had lots of
ferns so hopefully this spring I'll be harvesting my first batch of
asparagus also.

Cut lightly the first two years and only if there seems lots of vigorous
shoots. If you cut too heavily before they are developed you will set them
back. Feed heavily (horse is great) once established.

Neighbor told me to put rock salt on the bed to
control the weeds but not sure yet if I want to do that or not.

It sort of works because asparagus is somewhat tolerant of sodium where most
plants are not. The problem is if you over do it you will destroy the soil
structure and chemistry. The excess sodium will drive all the other cations
out (calcium, magnesium, potassium etc) and almost nothing will grow there.
Safer to mulch heavily.

This
is only my third year having a vegetable garden and it's lots of fun
puttering around with it. Only have about 400 sq. ft. or so but
that's plenty for the wife and I.

That's a good size for two people

Happy Gardening ............... Rich

David