Old 24-12-2010, 01:05 PM posted to uk.rec.birdwatching,uk.rec.gardening
'Mike'[_4_] 'Mike'[_4_] is offline

Default Keeping water for birds from freezing

"MCC" wrote in message
Any suggestions on how I can stop the birds' water freezing, please.
I know not to put any additives in it.
I was thinking along the lines of a metal dustbin lid inverted, supported
by a couple of house bricks or similar and a night light burning
underneath. Would that work?
--
MCC

copied to urg as there are those who are interested in birds there too.

Your idea might work, it depends on temperature and windage etc.

What I do is empty out all water from the baths once it is dark, then renew
in the morning, using a hoe to break the ice as it forms over the day. (Just
been out and done that again now)

Merry Christmas

Mike

Today, is the tomorrow, you were worrying about, yesterday.