Old 24-12-2010, 01:05 PM posted to uk.rec.birdwatching,uk.rec.gardening

Default Keeping water for birds from freezing

"MCC" wrote in message
Any suggestions on how I can stop the birds' water freezing, please.
I know not to put any additives in it.
I was thinking along the lines of a metal dustbin lid inverted, supported
by a couple of house bricks or similar and a night light burning
underneath. Would that work?
--
MCC

copied to urg as there are those who are interested in birds there too.

Your idea might work, it depends on temperature and windage etc.

What I do is empty out all water from the baths once it is dark, then renew
in the morning, using a hoe to break the ice as it forms over the day. (Just
been out and done that again now)

Merry Christmas

Mike

Today, is the tomorrow, you were worrying about, yesterday.

Old 25-12-2010, 12:05 AM posted to uk.rec.birdwatching,uk.rec.gardening

On Dec 24, 1:05*pm, "'Mike'" wrote:
What I do is empty out all water from the baths once it is dark, then renew
in the morning, using a hoe to break the ice as it forms over the day. (Just
been out and done that again now)

I have a couple of bricks that I heat up alternately & put in the
water. Keeps it liquid for an hour or so & the birds take advantage.
It was better when I lived somewhere with open fires: a brick that hot
will keep the water clear for 3 hours.
Old 26-12-2010, 05:19 PM posted to uk.rec.birdwatching,uk.rec.gardening

In article
s.com, bobharvey writes
On Dec 24, 1:05*pm, "'Mike'" wrote:
What I do is empty out all water from the baths once it is dark, then renew
in the morning, using a hoe to break the ice as it forms over the day. (Just
been out and done that again now)

I have a couple of bricks that I heat up alternately & put in the
water. Keeps it liquid for an hour or so & the birds take advantage.
It was better when I lived somewhere with open fires: a brick that hot
will keep the water clear for 3 hours.

My birdbath is a large plant tub saucer. I lift the ice off each
morning and top up the water (if frozen solid I bring it inside for few
minutes first). A robin reminds me if I forget.

Today I watched a greenfinch pecking snow off a neighbour's shed roof
and apparently swallowing it. Pigeons and blackbirds drink from the
birdbath but the robin is the only small bird I've seen doing that.
Could there be different needs for different species?

--
Sue ]
Old 26-12-2010, 05:28 PM posted to uk.rec.birdwatching,uk.rec.gardening

"Darkside" wrote in message
In article
s.com, bobharvey writes
On Dec 24, 1:05 pm, "'Mike'" wrote:
[...]

Sue nip outside NOW and empty the water out. Yes I know it's dark, take a
torch. I have just been out and emptied mine. Makes it soooooooooooooo much
easier in the morning :-))

Old 26-12-2010, 05:46 PM posted to uk.rec.birdwatching,uk.rec.gardening

In article , 'Mike'
writes

"Darkside" wrote in message
In article
s.com, bobharvey writes
On Dec 24, 1:05 pm, "'Mike'" wrote:
[...]

I suppose hedgehogs are hibernating at present so they won't need it.
Still, the full birdbath doubles as a weather station (I can see from
indoors how hard it's raining or freezing) and I'm building a pile of
ice discs in a shady corner to see how many there are before the next
thaw!
--
Sue ];(
Birdbath Fairy: if birds wish hard the water suddenly goes runny!