Old 26-12-2010, 05:19 PM posted to uk.rec.birdwatching,uk.rec.gardening
Darkside Darkside is offline

Default Keeping water for birds from freezing

In article
s.com, bobharvey writes
On Dec 24, 1:05*pm, "'Mike'" wrote:
What I do is empty out all water from the baths once it is dark, then renew
in the morning, using a hoe to break the ice as it forms over the day. (Just
been out and done that again now)

I have a couple of bricks that I heat up alternately & put in the
water. Keeps it liquid for an hour or so & the birds take advantage.
It was better when I lived somewhere with open fires: a brick that hot
will keep the water clear for 3 hours.

My birdbath is a large plant tub saucer. I lift the ice off each
morning and top up the water (if frozen solid I bring it inside for few
minutes first). A robin reminds me if I forget.

Today I watched a greenfinch pecking snow off a neighbour's shed roof
and apparently swallowing it. Pigeons and blackbirds drink from the
birdbath but the robin is the only small bird I've seen doing that.
Could there be different needs for different species?

--
Sue ]