Old 28-12-2010, 03:26 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Baz[_3_] Baz[_3_] is offline

Default Late daffs

Gopher wrote in
:

az

The thaw's started here in Dorset (a bit). Got concerned today when I
heard water running in the pipes and couldn't track where it was
going. Then I thought about the small apartment above the garage which
none of the kids chose to use over Xmas (unlike the summer). The rooms
were OK but the garage was flooded! The one piece of interior exposed
pipe had burst. No real damage (I think) except there's quite a lot of
standing water on the garage floor. I turned off the stopcock inside
the garage door and all is now OK. Except I need a plumber .... but
not too urgently. I had to smile when I recalled my rather pompous
post to Baz about Macmillan's "Events dear boy" ... and the need to
prepare for them. Why I didn't turn off the stopcock when the cold
weather started, I don't know. I did last year. Hoisted on my own
quotation ... and it's cold:-))) Oh .... and during the summer we
changed to a meter charging system!!

Where's that insurance policy ..... does it cover burst pipes???
Hmmmm!

Hello Gopher,
Thankfuly it sounds like you have not much damage that can't be sorted by
yourself and a heater in spring to dry out the timbers(if they are timber)

The Boy Scouts motto is also on the same lines as Mr. Macmillan's. "be
prepared" I think it is.
Easy to say the words.
In my experience nobody is 100% prepared for day to day living let alone
crystal balling. There is something to ..Best laid plans of mice and men
oft go astray.
You might find all this relevent when you check your insurance policy and
when you think you are covered and fill out the forms there may be a
clause, not of the santa kind either. I hope I am wrong and everything is
OK. but we all hear too many times of insurance companies, wriggling like
worms they are, out of liability.

Better times ahead
Baz