Old 24-12-2010, 12:19 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Registered User

Location: South Wales
Default Late daffs

I wonder if this long cold spell will get my daffs moving, up to the
snow there was hardly a trace of them, a few of them were showing
about half an inch but with most there was no sign.
Well behind the normal growth for this time of year.
David Hill
Old 24-12-2010, 02:31 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Fri, 24 Dec 2010 04:19:06 -0800 (PST), Dave Hill wrote:

Well behind the normal growth for this time of year.

Don't expect to see any sign of ours for a couple of months at least,
snow cover or not. B-)

--
Cheers
Dave.

Old 26-12-2010, 05:47 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In article o.uk, Dave
Liquorice writes
On Fri, 24 Dec 2010 04:19:06 -0800 (PST), Dave Hill wrote:

Well behind the normal growth for this time of year.

Don't expect to see any sign of ours for a couple of months at least,
snow cover or not. B-)

I'd normally expect to feel the crunch of little daffodil shoots
underfoot in January, but it's been so cold for so long that I'd expect
them to be late this year.
Has anyone even seen a snowdrop?
--
Sue ]
Old 26-12-2010, 06:05 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Darkside" wrote in message
Has anyone even seen a snowdrop?
--
Sue ]

Only just seen a drop of snow ;-))

Mike
S.E. Isle of Wight

Today, is the tomorrow, you were worrying about, yesterday.

Old 27-12-2010, 12:46 PM
kay kay is offline
Registered User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Hill View Post
I wonder if this long cold spell will get my daffs moving, up to the
snow there was hardly a trace of them, a few of them were showing
about half an inch but with most there was no sign.
Well behind the normal growth for this time of year.
Apart from about two days in mid Dec, I haven't seen the garden since November! I have no idea what's happening under there.
__________________

Old 27-12-2010, 02:28 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"'Mike'" wrote in
:

"Darkside" wrote in message
Has anyone even seen a snowdrop?
--
Sue ]

Only just seen a drop of snow ;-))

Mike
S.E. Isle of Wight

How lucky you are Mike.

We are so very sick of it. I think it was Nov.11 it started here and still
not gone yet, but the forecast for our region is good and last night was
the first time since then that we didn't have a frost.

Bet my new Kiwi bush suffered though.
Happy new year you lucky devil
Baz
Old 27-12-2010, 05:03 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In message , Baz
writes
"'Mike'" wrote in
:

"Darkside" wrote in message
Has anyone even seen a snowdrop?
--
Sue ]

Only just seen a drop of snow ;-))

Mike
S.E. Isle of Wight

How lucky you are Mike.

We are so very sick of it. I think it was Nov.11 it started here and still
not gone yet, but the forecast for our region is good and last night was
the first time since then that we didn't have a frost.

Bet my new Kiwi bush suffered though.
Happy new year you lucky devil
Baz

The thaw's started here in Dorset (a bit). Got concerned today when I
heard water running in the pipes and couldn't track where it was going.
Then I thought about the small apartment above the garage which none of
the kids chose to use over Xmas (unlike the summer). The rooms were OK
but the garage was flooded! The one piece of interior exposed pipe had
burst. No real damage (I think) except there's quite a lot of standing
water on the garage floor. I turned off the stopcock inside the garage
door and all is now OK. Except I need a plumber .... but not too
urgently. I had to smile when I recalled my rather pompous post to Baz
about Macmillan's "Events dear boy" ... and the need to prepare for
them. Why I didn't turn off the stopcock when the cold weather started,
I don't know. I did last year. Hoisted on my own quotation ... and it's
cold:-))) Oh .... and during the summer we changed to a meter charging
system!!

Where's that insurance policy ..... does it cover burst pipes??? Hmmmm!

--
Gopher .... I know my place!
Old 27-12-2010, 05:57 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Dave Hill" wrote ...

I wonder if this long cold spell will get my daffs moving, up to the
snow there was hardly a trace of them, a few of them were showing
about half an inch but with most there was no sign.
Well behind the normal growth for this time of year.

Now there is only a bit of snow left here I noticed there are some Daffs
showing and the Leucojum (snowflakes) are well up.

--
Regards
Bob Hobden

Old 28-12-2010, 03:26 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Gopher wrote in
:

[...]

Hello Gopher,
Thankfuly it sounds like you have not much damage that can't be sorted by
yourself and a heater in spring to dry out the timbers(if they are timber)

The Boy Scouts motto is also on the same lines as Mr. Macmillan's. "be
prepared" I think it is.
Easy to say the words.
In my experience nobody is 100% prepared for day to day living let alone
crystal balling. There is something to ..Best laid plans of mice and men
oft go astray.
You might find all this relevent when you check your insurance policy and
when you think you are covered and fill out the forms there may be a
clause, not of the santa kind either. I hope I am wrong and everything is
OK. but we all hear too many times of insurance companies, wriggling like
worms they are, out of liability.

Better times ahead
Baz
Old 29-12-2010, 09:13 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In message , Baz
writes
Gopher wrote in
:

[...]

Thanks Baz..........

I've checked the insurance policy and burst pipes damage is covered....
but not for outhouses, garages etc. Possibly because they may be more
prone to freezing - or am I just being cynical:-)) Fortunately, unknown
to me, Senior Management (my wife) had put in force an emergency cover
insurance which will take care of everything. As it turns out I can do
it myself as there is no damage except to a few bits of wood off-cuts.
I'll just cut out the split part of the pipe and insert a new bit. Easy
peasy. Or should I have the insurance company earn their money? We've
been very lucky!

As you say - better times ahead, somewhere through the gloom :-)
--
Gopher .... I know my place!

Old 29-12-2010, 09:52 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Gopher wrote in
:

I've checked the insurance policy and burst pipes damage is
covered.... but not for outhouses, garages etc. Possibly because they
may be more prone to freezing - or am I just being cynical:-))
Fortunately, unknown to me, Senior Management (my wife) had put in
force an emergency cover insurance which will take care of everything.
As it turns out I can do it myself as there is no damage except to a
few bits of wood off-cuts. I'll just cut out the split part of the
pipe and insert a new bit. Easy peasy. Or should I have the insurance
company earn their money? We've been very lucky!

As you say - better times ahead, somewhere through the gloom :-)

It must be always better to fix minor damage yourself if competent.
Think of the excess payment (if you have one) to make.

Baz
Old 29-12-2010, 11:15 AM
kay kay is offline
Registered User

Otoh, when the back part of our house detached itself from the front, our insurance company were splendid :-)
Quote:

I've checked the insurance policy and burst pipes damage is covered....
but not for outhouses, garages etc. Possibly because they may be more
prone to freezing - or am I just being cynical:-))
Look at it the other way - if they are more prone to freezing, and it's included in the cover, then to be a viable option for the insurance company, premiums go up for all of us...
Quote:
. Or should I have the insurance company earn their money? We've
been very lucky!
Consider the effect of a claim on future excesses, and how likely it is that you want to change your insurer (most ask you to list all claims in the last 5 years). Leave the insurance to things you can't handle yourself (skills-wise or financially)