Old 01-01-2011, 05:42 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Spider[_3_] Spider[_3_] is offline

Default Norway spruce question

On 01/01/2011 15:43, Kathy McIntosh wrote:
The local branch of a well known hardwear cum homestore cum garden
centre are selling their left over Christmas trees off cheap. They have
some small, potted, Norway spruce for around a fiver.

If I get one, with the intention of keeping it in a {much better} pot,
what do I need to do to ensure it stays small and manageable? Should I
invest in a good bonsai book {recommendations please} or is this thought
a no go from the start?

I'm certainly not an expert on Bonsai, so if that is what you want, then
a good book, plus good advice from others here, seems a sensible
starting place. I believe there is an "Expert" series guide on Bonsai
which would help. Many people consider bonsai-ing trees little better
than torture, so expect some criticism from this quarter.

If, however, you want a "small and manageable" Norway Spruce for future
use as a Christmas tree, or just as a garden specimen, you should be
able to grow one in a pot and limit its normal growth by root pruning.
Don't try and put your plant in a large pot all in one go; it should be
potted up gradually as the rootball fills each successive pot. Let it
grow normally until it starts to approach the ultimate size you require,
then begin your root-pruning regime. If it is to become a Chritmas
tree, make sure you turn it periodically so that it has a good balanced
shape. Also keep an eye on the health and progress of the central stem
or 'leader'. A Christmas tree should not have 2 leaders (it confuses
the fairy!). If the current leader is damaged so that two leaders
subsequently emerge, take action as soon as you see them and choose the
strongest, straightest one as your new leader and tie it to a cane so
that it grows straight up. The lesser shoot may be trimmed or tied down
so that it becomes another branch in the tree's framework.

--
Spider
from high ground in SE London