Old 01-01-2011, 03:43 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Norway spruce question

The local branch of a well known hardwear cum homestore cum garden centre
are selling their left over Christmas trees off cheap. They have some
small, potted, Norway spruce for around a fiver.

If I get one, with the intention of keeping it in a {much better} pot, what
do I need to do to ensure it stays small and manageable? Should I invest in
a good bonsai book {recommendations please} or is this thought a no go from
the start?

--
Kathy

Old 01-01-2011, 05:42 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 01/01/2011 15:43, Kathy McIntosh wrote:
The local branch of a well known hardwear cum homestore cum garden
centre are selling their left over Christmas trees off cheap. They have
some small, potted, Norway spruce for around a fiver.

If I get one, with the intention of keeping it in a {much better} pot,
what do I need to do to ensure it stays small and manageable? Should I
invest in a good bonsai book {recommendations please} or is this thought
a no go from the start?

I'm certainly not an expert on Bonsai, so if that is what you want, then
a good book, plus good advice from others here, seems a sensible
starting place. I believe there is an "Expert" series guide on Bonsai
which would help. Many people consider bonsai-ing trees little better
than torture, so expect some criticism from this quarter.

If, however, you want a "small and manageable" Norway Spruce for future
use as a Christmas tree, or just as a garden specimen, you should be
able to grow one in a pot and limit its normal growth by root pruning.
Don't try and put your plant in a large pot all in one go; it should be
potted up gradually as the rootball fills each successive pot. Let it
grow normally until it starts to approach the ultimate size you require,
then begin your root-pruning regime. If it is to become a Chritmas
tree, make sure you turn it periodically so that it has a good balanced
shape. Also keep an eye on the health and progress of the central stem
or 'leader'. A Christmas tree should not have 2 leaders (it confuses
the fairy!). If the current leader is damaged so that two leaders
subsequently emerge, take action as soon as you see them and choose the
strongest, straightest one as your new leader and tie it to a cane so
that it grows straight up. The lesser shoot may be trimmed or tied down
so that it becomes another branch in the tree's framework.

--
Spider
from high ground in SE London
Old 01-01-2011, 05:47 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Sat, 1 Jan 2011 15:43:14 -0000, "Kathy McIntosh"
wrote:

The local branch of a well known hardwear cum homestore cum garden centre
are selling their left over Christmas trees off cheap. They have some
small, potted, Norway spruce for around a fiver.

If I get one, with the intention of keeping it in a {much better} pot, what
do I need to do to ensure it stays small and manageable? Should I invest in
a good bonsai book {recommendations please} or is this thought a no go from
the start?

You can't bonsai a Christmas tree. Keeping it in a pot will restrict
its growth. Use it as a Christmas tree for as long as you wish.
You'll have had your £5-worth after 5 years, then get another!

Pam in Bristol
Old 01-01-2011, 10:15 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Kathy McIntosh" wrote in message
The local branch of a well known hardwear cum homestore cum garden centre
are selling their left over Christmas trees off cheap. They have some
small, potted, Norway spruce for around a fiver.

If I get one, with the intention of keeping it in a {much better} pot,
what do I need to do to ensure it stays small and manageable? Should I
invest in a good bonsai book {recommendations please} or is this thought a
no go from the start?

--
Kathy

In my very limited knowledge of Bonsai - doesn't it mean "Tree in a pan or
dish" This is a clue as to the size one should expect of a Bonsai Tree.

Fow what it's worth I'd say don't do it.

Bill

Old 02-01-2011, 12:12 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Spider" wrote in message
[...]

By better pot I mean not cheap black plastic :-}
Many thanks to you, Pam and Bill for the replies - one little tree will soon
be in a new home, my garden.

--
Kathy

Old 02-01-2011, 10:07 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Jan 1, 3:43*pm, "Kathy McIntosh" wrote:
The local branch of a well known hardwear cum homestore cum garden centre
are selling their left over Christmas trees off cheap. *They have some
small, potted, Norway spruce for around a fiver.

If I get one, with the intention of keeping it in a {much better} pot, what
do I need to do to ensure it stays small and manageable? *Should I invest in
a good bonsai book {recommendations please} or is this thought a no go from
the start?

--
Kathy

Most of them are dug up and the roots trimmed off an just stuck in the
pot. I f you plant it out (or up) it may, or may not recover.
This is a tree that grows to 130 ft or more and grows ar a rate of
four or five feet a year at maturity. It is disposable or for timber.
You need to get one of the truely minature firs/conifers & have a lot
fewer problems with it.

Norway spruce billwilliams Gardening 8 13-12-2009 01:54 AM
Norway Spruce turned brown/yellow Novice2 United Kingdom 5 01-12-2009 09:30 AM
Norway Spruce emimec Gardening 1 10-05-2006 07:22 PM
Large spruce overgrowing small spruce? Dave K. Gardening 1 09-05-2004 02:03 PM
Weeping Norway Spruce as landscape plant Matt Gardening 5 04-05-2004 05:02 PM