Old 03-01-2011, 04:23 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible
zxcvbob zxcvbob is offline

Default Blight Resistant Tomatoes

The Cook wrote:
I just got my catalogue from Johnny's and they are touting a tomato
with high resistance to late blight and intermediate resistance to
early blight. After last year this seems like something I must try
even tho they seem to be expensive, 20 seeds for $4.95 + shipping. But
if they do work it will be worth it.

"Legend"? I tried them a few years ago and was not impressed. The
tomatoes were not great, and the blight ate them up just like
everything else.

I've had the best luck with "Porter" and "Principe Borghese" (both
small-fruited varieties) *if* I gave the plants lots of nitrogen
early in the season so they were lush and healthy going into blight
season. Or a prolific variety like "Better Boy" and just plan on
them getting killed by blight but you'll get a decent crop of great
tomatoes first.

I haven't tried using a copper fungicide or Maneb yet.

-Bob