Old 02-01-2011, 04:05 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

Default Blight Resistant Tomatoes

I just got my catalogue from Johnny's and they are touting a tomato
with high resistance to late blight and intermediate resistance to
early blight. After last year this seems like something I must try
even tho they seem to be expensive, 20 seeds for $4.95 + shipping. But
if they do work it will be worth it.
--
USA
North Carolina Foothills
Old 02-01-2011, 04:27 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

On Jan 2, 11:05*am, The Cook wrote:
I just got my catalogue from Johnny's and they are touting a tomato
with high resistance to late blight and intermediate resistance to
early blight. *After last year this seems like something I must try
even tho they seem to be expensive, 20 seeds for $4.95 + shipping. But
if they do work it will be worth it.
--
USA
North Carolina Foothills
USDA Zone 7a

I wish there was something to prevent wilt.
Old 02-01-2011, 06:30 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

In article
,

http://vegetablemdonline.ppath.cornell.edu/factsheets/Tomato_List.htm

--
Bill S. Jersey USA zone 5 shade garden

"Always tell the truth and you don't have to remember anything."
--Mark Twain.

Old 03-01-2011, 12:27 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible

On Sun, 02 Jan 2011 11:05:32 -0500, The Cook wrote:

I just got my catalogue from Johnny's and they are touting a tomato with
high resistance to late blight and intermediate resistance to early
blight. After last year this seems like something I must try even tho
they seem to be expensive, 20 seeds for $4.95 + shipping. But if they do
work it will be worth it.

I tried Legends last year, none of them survived even though it was a
great year for tomatoes, I suspect that they would have been a mediocre
tomato anyway since they were bred for blight resistance not flavor.

I used copper fungicide on all of my plants last year. Copper fungicides
are supposed to be safe, the label says that it can be used up to the day
of harvest and that it can be used for organic gardening. I only used it
when the plants were small.

In 2009 I lost everything due to late blight (I'm in New England where
there was a plague of late blight that year). Last year I did the
following to prevent a repeat,

1) I didn't buy any plants from big box stores (they were implicated in
the 2009 disaster).

2) I started a lot of my plants from seed. Most of the varieties that I
planted from seed didn't make it, the one notable success were the
Cosmonaut Volkovs.

3) To replace my losses I bought plants from a local nursery. I treated
all of them with the copper fungicide when I planted them and then
repeated the application every few weeks for the first month. The nursery
plants did incredibly well, I had more tomatoes than any year since the
Reagan administration. The big winner were the Sun Gold Cherry tomatoes,
it's by far the best tasting tomato that I've ever tried, it's almost
candy. The plants were prolific, producing hundreds of tomatoes a piece.
They starting yielding tomatoes early and continued to produce until late
in the fall. I ate them off of the vine and I also made a ton of spaghetti
sauce with them.

Old 03-01-2011, 04:23 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible

The Cook wrote:
I just got my catalogue from Johnny's and they are touting a tomato
with high resistance to late blight and intermediate resistance to
early blight. After last year this seems like something I must try
even tho they seem to be expensive, 20 seeds for $4.95 + shipping. But
if they do work it will be worth it.

"Legend"? I tried them a few years ago and was not impressed. The
tomatoes were not great, and the blight ate them up just like
everything else.

I've had the best luck with "Porter" and "Principe Borghese" (both
small-fruited varieties) *if* I gave the plants lots of nitrogen
early in the season so they were lush and healthy going into blight
season. Or a prolific variety like "Better Boy" and just plan on
them getting killed by blight but you'll get a decent crop of great
tomatoes first.

I haven't tried using a copper fungicide or Maneb yet.

-Bob

Old 03-01-2011, 12:15 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

On Sun, 02 Jan 2011 22:23:11 -0600, zxcvbob
wrote:

The Cook wrote:
[...]

Information from Johnny's catalogue.

"This tomato is named "Defiant PhR." It is bred by Johnny's and
selected for:
Taste
Disease resistance
Wide adaptability."

I am sure it is on their web site too.

--
USA
North Carolina Foothills
Old 11-01-2011, 11:30 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

On Jan 2, 11:05*am, The Cook wrote:
I just got my catalogue from Johnny's and they are touting a tomato
with high resistance to late blight and intermediate resistance to
early blight. *After last year this seems like something I must try
even tho they seem to be expensive, 20 seeds for $4.95 + shipping. But
if they do work it will be worth it.
--
USA
North Carolina Foothills
USDA Zone 7a

There is nothing much you can do about blight except hope for a dry
season or use copper frequently.

Last year was excellent didn't have to use anything, year before lost
everything.

Perhaps a tent of some sort to keep the plants dry during the wet
years will work, haven't tried it.
Old 12-01-2011, 01:04 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible

fsadfa wrote:

On Jan 2, 11:05Â*am, The Cook wrote:
I just got my catalogue from Johnny's and they are touting a tomato
with high resistance to late blight and intermediate resistance to
early blight. Â*After last year this seems like something I must try
even tho they seem to be expensive, 20 seeds for $4.95 + shipping.
But if they do work it will be worth it.
--
USA
North Carolina Foothills
USDA Zone 7a

There is nothing much you can do about blight except hope for a dry
season or use copper frequently.

Last year was excellent didn't have to use anything, year before lost
everything.

Perhaps a tent of some sort to keep the plants dry during the wet
years will work, haven't tried it.

I have. It works pretty well.

Ian
--