Old 04-01-2011, 03:47 AM posted to rec.gardens
Bob F Bob F is offline

Default Cider apple pulper photos

Brooklyn1 wrote:
On Sun, 2 Jan 2011 21:17:23 +1300, "George" wrote:

Farm1/FarmI/Farml

Pictures now posted http://picasaweb.google.com/112682495420856844376

I reckon even Charlie couldn't make it any cheaper

Cheap is expensive.... looks like there's about to be a big waste of
apples.... more like you'll be producing apple compost. You can't
make decent cider from puree. I've seen dozens of small family run
apple cider operations, they all press apple chunks. And it really
doesn't pay to micky mouse a small batch of cider at home, it's
cheaper to buy a few gallons ready made. A lot of apples are required
to produce a gallon of juice. Cider is an apple orchard by-product,
it's one of the ways they use damaged fruit (drops). Market apples
are pretty pricy nowadays, unless one has a source of essentially free
drops it doesn't pay to make cider.

http://www.schuttsapplemill.com/cider2.html

That's why I only make 30 or so gallons each year. It's just such a futile
effort.

Anyone with eyes can find apples to press. There are lots of unused apples
growing everywhere I look.