Old 02-01-2011, 08:17 AM posted to rec.gardens

Default Cider apple pulper photos

Farm1/FarmI/Farml

Pictures now posted http://picasaweb.google.com/112682495420856844376

I reckon even Charlie couldn't make it any cheaper
Old 02-01-2011, 03:19 PM posted to rec.gardens

On Sun, 2 Jan 2011 21:17:23 +1300, "George" wrote:

Farm1/FarmI/Farml

Pictures now posted http://picasaweb.google.com/112682495420856844376

I reckon even Charlie couldn't make it any cheaper

Cheap is expensive.... looks like there's about to be a big waste of
apples.... more like you'll be producing apple compost. You can't
make decent cider from puree. I've seen dozens of small family run
apple cider operations, they all press apple chunks. And it really
doesn't pay to micky mouse a small batch of cider at home, it's
cheaper to buy a few gallons ready made. A lot of apples are required
to produce a gallon of juice. Cider is an apple orchard by-product,
it's one of the ways they use damaged fruit (drops). Market apples
are pretty pricy nowadays, unless one has a source of essentially free
drops it doesn't pay to make cider.

http://www.schuttsapplemill.com/cider2.html
Old 02-01-2011, 05:00 PM posted to rec.gardens

In article ,
Brooklyn1 Gravesend1 wrote:

On Sun, 2 Jan 2011 21:17:23 +1300, "George" wrote:

Farm1/FarmI/Farml

Pictures now posted http://picasaweb.google.com/112682495420856844376

I reckon even Charlie couldn't make it any cheaper

Cheap is expensive....

Rob, I guess you know by now that this jack-ass always has a
discouraging word to say. Screw him. With the apples already crushed,
the juice has a shorter way to travel to escape the fruit. If any
problem occur with pressing, some rice hulls would take care of it.
--
- Billy
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MyE5wjc4XOw
Old 02-01-2011, 05:55 PM posted to rec.gardens

On Sun, 02 Jan 2011 09:00:00 -0800, Billy
wrote:

In article ,
Brooklyn1 Gravesend1 wrote:

On Sun, 2 Jan 2011 21:17:23 +1300, "George" wrote:

Farm1/FarmI/Farml

Pictures now posted http://picasaweb.google.com/112682495420856844376

I reckon even Charlie couldn't make it any cheaper

Cheap is expensive....

Rob, I guess you know by now that this jack-ass always has a
discouraging word to say. With the apples already crushed,
the juice has a shorter way to travel to escape.

It's like how when we squeeze your head and immediately out comes a
crock of shit.
Old 02-01-2011, 09:42 PM posted to rec.gardens

"Billy" wrote in message
In article ,
Brooklyn1 Gravesend1 wrote:

On Sun, 2 Jan 2011 21:17:23 +1300, "George" wrote:

Farm1/FarmI/Farml

Pictures now posted http://picasaweb.google.com/112682495420856844376

I reckon even Charlie couldn't make it any cheaper

Cheap is expensive....

Rob, I guess you know by now that this jack-ass always has a
discouraging word to say. Screw him. With the apples already crushed,
the juice has a shorter way to travel to escape the fruit. If any
problem occur with pressing, some rice hulls would take care of it.
--
- Billy
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MyE5wjc4XOw
http://www.salem-news.com/articles/j...acks_1-5-09.ph

having made 3 batches using a kitchen whizz, ie pulped apples, this is no
different - just far less labour intensive. The cider doesn't taste too bad
once stored long enough (1 plus year). Once I get the carbonation correct,
so that it nicely fizzes over some ice, I'll be entirely happy.

rob

Old 03-01-2011, 06:16 AM posted to rec.gardens

In article , "George"
wrote:

"Billy" wrote in message
[...]

And that's what it's really all about.
Old 03-01-2011, 06:18 AM posted to rec.gardens

wrote:

In article ,
Brooklyn1 Gravesend1 wrote:

On Sun, 2 Jan 2011 21:17:23 +1300, "George" wrote:

Farm1/FarmI/Farml

Pictures now posted http://picasaweb.google.com/112682495420856844376

I reckon even Charlie couldn't make it any cheaper

Cheap is expensive....

Rob, I guess you know by now that this jack-ass always has a
discouraging word to say. With the apples already crushed,
the juice has a shorter way to travel to escape.

It's like how when we squeeze your head and immediately out comes a
crock of shit.

As charming as ever ;O)
Old 04-01-2011, 03:47 AM posted to rec.gardens

Brooklyn1 wrote:
[...]

That's why I only make 30 or so gallons each year. It's just such a futile
effort.

Anyone with eyes can find apples to press. There are lots of unused apples
growing everywhere I look.

Old 04-01-2011, 08:29 AM posted to rec.gardens

"Bob F" wrote in message
Brooklyn1 wrote:
[...]

I only makr about 40 litres Bob (and then spend the rest of the year finding
outlets to give it away).

All the apples are down my street and free of charge (apart from swapping
some seasonal fruit and veges for the apples).

Very low food miles and very local.

As much as anything its a hobby and something creative.

rob

Old 06-01-2011, 06:08 AM posted to rec.gardens

George wrote:
Farm1/FarmI/Farml

Pictures now posted http://picasaweb.google.com/112682495420856844376

I reckon even Charlie couldn't make it any cheaper

very interesting, i love apple cider.

i would worry that the seeds are being
ground up. don't they have arsenic in
them?

most setups i've seen use a coarse chop.

also, be careful of making cider from
old drops. some of those fungi are
very toxic.

songbird

Old 08-01-2011, 03:48 PM posted to rec.gardens

George wrote:
wrote:
[...]

Have you tried making hard cider? It's easy to do, and makes a fine drink that
will last for years. There's another hobby.

Old 08-01-2011, 07:53 PM posted to rec.gardens

"Bob F" wrote:
George wrote:
"Bob F" wrote:
Brooklyn1 wrote:
"George" wrote:
[...]

Figures yours would be boozing. LOL

In the Navy I would make hard cider from dehydrated apples... adding
raisins, especially white raisins, makes for excellent hooch too. The
Navy carries lots of dehy of all types aboard ship, rarely enough
fresh fruit to last but a few days.

Actually one of the easiest and best ways to make cider for home use
quantities is from dehy apples... dehy apples makes the best apple pie
too. One pound of dehy equals about ten pounds of fresh... at the
bulk stores dehys run about $8/lb. This is what many of the better
neighborhood bakeries do

"Apple Pie Filling from Dehydrated Apples"

The nicest apple pies I've ever made were where the filling was
prepared from dried (dehydrated) apples, the apple flavor is more
intense and the texture less mushy; obviously there is less work
and no waste (they're already cored, pared, and sliced). Dried apples
are readily available from stupidmarkets at reasonable prices
especially from markets that sell bulk and from so-called health food
shops. And of course there are no storage problems with dehydrated
fruits, they last about forever.

One pound of dehydrated apples equals approximately ten pounds of
fresh. To one pound of dehydrated apples add 2 quarts of water and
*slowly* bring to a gentle boil, stir occasionally and cook 5 minutes,
covered. Turn off heat and let rest, covered, till room temperature.
Make a slurry of cornstarch and cold water; bring apples back to boil
and add cornstarch mixture and cook until thick and clear. Turn off
heat.

While still hot carefully blend in sugar (about 1 pound), a pinch of
salt, unsalted butter (about 2 ounces), a tsp of cinnamon, 1/4 tsp
nutmeg and the juice of one lemon. Cool throughly. May be
refrigerated up to two days for later use.

Scale about 3 1/2 cups filling into each unbaked pie crust, cover with
top crust and bake at 425 degrees F for about 45 minutes, until crust
is nicely browned.
---
Old 08-01-2011, 11:31 PM posted to rec.gardens

"Bob F" wrote in message
George wrote:
wrote:
[...]

yes, thats the whole exercise. Over here we have Cider and apple juice.
Cider is alcoholic. When I say cider I mean brewed apple juice. We don't use
a 'hard' or 'soft' qualifiers on the word cider.

It's a good hobby but the results are a little perilous - hot summer days &
a bottle of home brew = sleep.

rob