Old 04-01-2011, 10:27 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

Default Sowing "isabgol" (Plantago ovata)

General Schvantzkoph wrote:
On Tue, 04 Jan 2011 00:01:05 +0000, Ankur wrote:

Are there any books, websites or journals where one can find
information on germinating/growing plants?

In particular, I have Plantago ovata ("isabgol") seeds but haven't
been able to find much information on when/how to sow the seeds.
I've tried direct sowing and in a small seedling tray at the start
of Victorian summer (in Australia), but haven't achieved any success.

Just curious, why would you want to grow your own laxatives? I don't
see the advantage of home grow psyllium. I could see having a plum
tree and making your own prunes, prunes are tasty, but making your
own Metamucil seems like a waste of time. What am I missing? Does
isabgol have some other use?

As a food additive, it is used as a gum which changes (they say improves)
the texture of factory prepared food-like substances. Perhaps there is a
market for it in Vic.

David