Old 05-01-2011, 12:16 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible
General Schvantzkoph General Schvantzkoph is offline

Default Sowing "isabgol" (Plantago ovata)

On Tue, 04 Jan 2011 23:23:22 +0000, Ankur wrote:

* General Schvantzkoph
Just curious, why would you want to grow your own laxatives?

The husk is just fibre, which does have a laxative effect, but fibre
also lowers cholesterol reabsorption.

I know people who eat psyllium husk regularly, and I'd like to try
eating the seed. It could also be useful as a thickener (eg. in soups).

But mostly I'm interested because it's an edible plant which there is a
small chance of growing - it'll be good for biodiversity even if it
doesn't produce much.

So your basically giving the George Mallory answer, "because it's there".
Fair enough.