Old 04-01-2011, 10:48 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Spider[_3_] Spider[_3_] is offline

Default Growing orchids - clear pots ?

On 04/01/2011 20:25, Derek wrote:
On Tue, 4 Jan 2011 10:49:25 -0800 (PST), Judith in France
Spider, advice please on Phalaenopsis, I have bought the repotting
medium. Should I leave it until Spring? I have the plant in the
kitchen, maybe I should move it somewhere cooler?

Been told, repot in the summer, keep out of draughts, water only when
roots turn gray, water by pouring water through the roots, never let
the plant stand in water.
www.lincolnfuchsiasociety.info

On the whole and in an ideal world, I agree, but a wait of several
months for repotting an orchid which may be in distress seems tantamount
to orchicide (I suppose there is such a word!). Repotting with extreme
care in relation to temp and draughts is more likely to encourage
recovery. If Judith's Phal still has useable compost and good health,
it may very well wait for summer. If not, I would still encourage her
to repot.

--
Spider
from high ground in SE London