Old 04-01-2011, 02:15 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Growing orchids - clear pots ?

HI All

We have a number of orchids that my wife works very hard to pamper g

Some of the look as if they could/should be potted on into larger pots -
but they are currently in the semi-transparent pots that they came in.

Is it important that they be repotted into transparent pots, or will
the common-or-garden brown or black plastic variety suit ?
Transparent pots in larger sizes seem hard to get hold of out here in
the wilds of south-west Ireland ...

Thanks
Adrian
Old 04-01-2011, 02:22 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Tue, 04 Jan 2011 14:15:38 +0000, Adrian Brentnall
wrote:

Some of the look as if they could/should be potted on into larger pots -
but they are currently in the semi-transparent pots that they came in.

My partner grows a fair few, she keeps them in the transparent pots so
that she can look at the roots and so can monitor the watering. Seems
to be the way to do it as she has great success.
Ebay has a good selection of pots.
www.lincolnfuchsiasociety.info
Old 04-01-2011, 02:53 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Tue, 4 Jan 2011 Adrian Brentnall wrote:

We have a number of orchids that my wife works very hard to pamper g

Some of the look as if they could/should be potted on into larger pots -
but they are currently in the semi-transparent pots that they came in.

Is it important that they be repotted into transparent pots, or will
the common-or-garden brown or black plastic variety suit ?
Transparent pots in larger sizes seem hard to get hold of out here in
the wilds of south-west Ireland ...

We have had five orchids for several years. They all thrive in either
clay or plastic pots, none of which are transparent.

David

http://rance.org.uk

Old 04-01-2011, 03:23 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 04/01/2011 14:15, Adrian Brentnall wrote:
HI All

We have a number of orchids that my wife works very hard to pamper g

Some of the look as if they could/should be potted on into larger pots -
but they are currently in the semi-transparent pots that they came in.

Is it important that they be repotted into transparent pots, or will
the common-or-garden brown or black plastic variety suit ?
Transparent pots in larger sizes seem hard to get hold of out here in
the wilds of south-west Ireland ...

Thanks
Adrian

They *can* be grown in ordinary plastic pots or even clay pots, the
latter esp if good grainage is required. However, I have never felt
really happy about any of these and *always* transplant my orchids into
clear pots. In these, I can see root development and judge water
requirement. Also, if a tall flower spike appears and needs supporting,
I can watch the progress of a cane being pushed into the growing medium
and thus avoid damaging roots. Also, some orchid roots are able to make
use of the light available to them between the clear pot and its
decorative pot cover. To me, clear pots have clear advantages. I buy
them whenever I see them, not just when I need them. With tiny plants
or keikis (baby orchids), I use those small plastic tumblers sold for
parties, having made huge holes in the base and sides. When I see small
enough clear pots, I shall buy a few. I note that you have difficulty
sourcing bigger pots, and wonder just how big you need. My biggest pot
is 18.5cm (made by Stewarts). I only rarely need bigger than that.
Alas, those clear-ish buckets that fatballs come in aren't really deep
enough. Most frustrating!

It is more difficult to answer your other potting question without
knowing the type of orchid or seeing its root growth. If you can see
the roots well enough, you can probably tell if they're running out of
space and compost. Sometimes, an orchid can be repotted into the same
pot after completely renewing the compost. Generally, though, I find
mine need potting up a size. Phalaenopsis tend to be this latter type,
because they make such thick roots. My Oncidiums and so-called Cambria
types (still trying to identify some of them!) need less potting on
because their roots are so slender and seem slower growing.

--
Spider
from high ground in SE London
Old 04-01-2011, 08:25 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Tue, 4 Jan 2011 10:49:25 -0800 (PST), Judith in France
Spider, advice please on Phalaenopsis, I have bought the repotting
medium. Should I leave it until Spring? I have the plant in the
kitchen, maybe I should move it somewhere cooler?

Been told, repot in the summer, keep out of draughts, water only when
roots turn gray, water by pouring water through the roots, never let
the plant stand in water.
www.lincolnfuchsiasociety.info

Old 04-01-2011, 10:48 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 04/01/2011 20:25, Derek wrote:
On Tue, 4 Jan 2011 10:49:25 -0800 (PST), Judith in France
Spider, advice please on Phalaenopsis, I have bought the repotting
medium. Should I leave it until Spring? I have the plant in the
kitchen, maybe I should move it somewhere cooler?

Been told, repot in the summer, keep out of draughts, water only when
roots turn gray, water by pouring water through the roots, never let
the plant stand in water.
www.lincolnfuchsiasociety.info

On the whole and in an ideal world, I agree, but a wait of several
months for repotting an orchid which may be in distress seems tantamount
to orchicide (I suppose there is such a word!). Repotting with extreme
care in relation to temp and draughts is more likely to encourage
recovery. If Judith's Phal still has useable compost and good health,
it may very well wait for summer. If not, I would still encourage her
to repot.

Old 04-01-2011, 11:01 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
No Name

Derek wrote:
Been told, repot in the summer, keep out of draughts, water only when
roots turn gray, water by pouring water through the roots, never let
the plant stand in water.

Sounds about right to me, but I have never found my orchids ever actually
need repotting into bigger pots - they /like/ having their roots cuddled!

And about once a month, submerge the whole thing for 5-20 mins in warm
water. (ok, I don't get the flowers wet, but I put all the leaves, roots,
pot, bark chips, etc in the bath for a while) Then drain and don't water
again for, well, about a month. :-)

Old 05-01-2011, 01:16 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 04/01/2011 14:15, Adrian Brentnall wrote:
HI All

We have a number of orchids that my wife works very hard to pamper g

Some of the look as if they could/should be potted on into larger pots -
but they are currently in the semi-transparent pots that they came in.

Is it important that they be repotted into transparent pots, or will
the common-or-garden brown or black plastic variety suit ?
Transparent pots in larger sizes seem hard to get hold of out here in
the wilds of south-west Ireland ...

You should be able to buy them online. But some orchids do have green
photosynthetic roots and will sulk if put into dark pots. They are by
nature epiphytes and would grow clinging to a tree branch in the light.

They are usually supplied in the right sort of pots from nurseries. Also
don't overpot them or you will get no flowers next year.

Regards,
Martin Brown
Old 05-01-2011, 01:27 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

I have had a small orchid that I bought years ago in a supermarket,
expecting it to die after Christmas since I'm not the greatest with house
plants. It has a single stem twice a year with flowers that last for months.
It is still in the same pot that I bought it in , mainly because I would
have to cut it off the root system which has grown strongly out the bottom.
I think I must agree about watering the roots because that is all mine gets
now that the pot and its overflowing roots now stand in a decorative bowl
filled with small stones to cover the roots! Well, we can't all be experts.

Old 05-01-2011, 04:20 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

They are usually supplied in the right sort of pots from nurseries. Also
don't overpot them or you will get no flowers next year.

Anyone beat 42 flowers on one plant? Now in its fourth year. Stunning.

..
www.lincolnfuchsiasociety.info

Old 05-01-2011, 05:30 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 05/01/2011 16:20, Derek wrote:

They are usually supplied in the right sort of pots from nurseries. Also
don't overpot them or you will get no flowers next year.

Anyone beat 42 flowers on one plant? Now in its fourth year. Stunning.

.
www.lincolnfuchsiasociety.info

Which type of orchid?

Old 05-01-2011, 06:22 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Wed, 05 Jan 2011 17:30:03 +0000, Spider wrote:

Anyone beat 42 flowers on one plant? Now in its fourth year. Stunning.

Which type of orchid?

Should have said, a bog standard, supermarket bought, white
phalaenopsis.
www.lincolnfuchsiasociety.info
Old 05-01-2011, 06:30 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 05/01/2011 18:22, Derek wrote:
On Wed, 05 Jan 2011 17:30:03 +0000, wrote:

Anyone beat 42 flowers on one plant? Now in its fourth year. Stunning.

Which type of orchid?

Should have said, a bog standard, supermarket bought, white
phalaenopsis.
www.lincolnfuchsiasociety.info

So is my big one. Alas, it's only got 30 flowers on, since I snipped a
branch off before Xmas. Awww..what a shame:~(. I wished I'd counted
them before that snip.

Clear pots for orchids someone Orchids 5 20-03-2008 04:55 PM
Clear pots for orchids Plantaganet Orchids 1 12-03-2007 06:30 PM
Pond Sludge - To clear or not to clear? MB United Kingdom 24 13-09-2006 12:15 PM
Roots, light, and clear pots question Bruce W.1 Gardening 0 24-02-2004 08:02 PM
Clear Plastic Pots? JC Orchids 0 23-02-2003 08:39 PM